usb mouse doesn't work anymore

andreyvul

hi andreyvul! better if you just attached your lastsession.ini instead. anyways, kindly verify if you have the ff files in \windows\system32 or in \windows\system32\drivers: arhidfltr.sys, hidclass.sys, hidparse.sys, hidusb.sys, hidserv.dll, hid.dll (apart from not having any unknown devices)? cheers!

andreyvul, please delete your Last Session from your first post - what a mess. You are running nLite under Vista to create an XP ISO. This can cause problems sometimes. You have removed 'Windows CE USB Host'. Maybe this is your problem. Anyway, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

You have removed 'Windows CE USB Host'. Maybe this is your problem.

I've unchecked 'Windows CE USB Host', and the two files are still missing, even when they're listed in the "Keep Files" list.

Edited by andreyvul

andreyvul, does your USB mouse work? Does it have a special driver - I see no driver? Can you run nLite under XP? Please attach your latest Last Session. Where did your source come from? Did it already have SP3? If not, how did you add it? Enjoy, John.

andreyvul, does your USB mouse work? Does it have a special driver - I see no driver? Can you run nLite under XP? Please attach your latest Last Session. Where did your source come from? Did it already have SP3? If not, how did you add it? Enjoy, John.

It'll involve creating a VMware install of XP for nLiting purposes (which isn't new - I've done it in ubuntu and gentoo numerous times).

The source had SP3 included, and the mouse uses the standard HID stack - it works in Linux and on my Vista x64 laptop. There were no yellow triangles in devmgmt.msc when the mouse was plugged in, leaving me to the conclusion that nLite somehow crippled the HID stack.

But nLite doesn't like extracted XP CDs on VMware HGFS shared drives...

Edited by andreyvul

andreyvul, what does this mean? Why is the source extracted?

But nLite doesn't like extracted XP CDs on VMware HGFS shared drives...

The Tweak "Explorer-Launch folder windows in a separate process" exposes a Windows bug and needs to be removed. It is not the source of your problem. I searched arhidfltr.sys on the MSDN site and found that it is part of the Away Mode of MCE of XP, so again I ask, "where did the source come from?" I do not have one of these files in my source (XP x64). I do have hidserv.dll in my Driver CAB. The first file is a driver for the Away Mode. Notice the first characters of hidserv.dll is HID. Why does your source not have this file? Is your source a hacked up MCE or something? Enjoy, John.

• 2 weeks later...

andreyvul, remember we warned you before about running nLite under Vista to create an XP ISO. Can you run nLite under XP?

Not all of the files from nLited i386\driver.cab get extracted to \system32 and \system32\drivers though, e.g. hidserv.dll, hidgame.sys .
What does this mean? Are you getting error messages during install? You should get no errors running nLite or during install. Enjoy, John.

Weird stuff...

USB mouse works until GUI-install does driver install and the GUI-install screen displays.

Anyways, Last_session is attached.

The driver install that's causing the problem is probably the ATI drivers...

The ones I'm merging are:

AMDAway (unlikely)

ATI drivers (probably)

Realtek HDA (unlikely)

Realtek LAN (unlikely)

What in Last_session is causing ATI drivers to kill USB HID input stack?

Last_Session.ini

Edited by andreyvul

andreyvul, you never answered my questions from an older reply, such as where your source came from. Knowing little at this time I would be more suspicious of the AMDAway driver. What purpose does it serve? Please post a link to where you DLed all the ATI and the AMDAway drivers. At this time I think maybe the best starting point is to remove all but the text mode drivers and see if the mouse works. Enjoy, John.