Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

It happens pretty frequently. The boot up time varies from 1 minute to 8 minutes. It is really ridiculous. I have an event log of it going for 497 seconds and I find that disturbing. I'll do another trace as soon as I get to school.

[edit]

http://www.mediafire.com/file/iqghzjfua0gy1li/boot_BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER_1.etl

http://www.mediafire.com/file/u5b3tlofqgqso45/summary_boot.xml

I've noticed that the PreSMSS took much longer than the SMSSInit this time instead of vice versa. What is going on?

Edited by aszinn

Hm, well the problem now is that the diagnostic tools are not picking up the errors... I don't want to open it up because I'm afraid of breaking the laptop as a whole :(

I hate to be a bother, but I was linked to this thread in a thread that I created in the Windows 7 forum to help resolve an issue I am having with sleep/standby. When I put my PC to sleep, it will not resume. It appears that all fans begin to spin, hard drives spin up, but I receive no video output. I also am not able to ping my PC. Someone suggested tracing the process, but it looks like no data is really even made that would be helpful. If anyone here is knowledgable on the subject, could you please read my posts on the thread I linked below and help me if you are able?

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Edited by chaoticyeshua

I stumbled upon this thread when I was researching an issue I'm having. For whatever reason, my laptop is slow to boot and resume from sleep. I performed the trace on boot and also sleep and zipped them all up then uploaded them to my skydrive. The links are below. I had to split the file in order to meet the SkyDrive upload limits. I'll also PM you the zip password. I didn't include +DRIVERS in my traces because it caused a BSOD. If need be, I can try it again though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My Files

timing bootDoneViaExplorer="123194" bootDoneViaPostBoot="162594" osLoaderDuration="2449" postBootRequiredIdleTime="10000" postBootDisturbance="29400"

your Windows needs 123s to boot to the desktop and 152s to boot completely. This is too much.

The first delay occurs in the PreSMSS Phase:

<interval name="PreSMSS" startTime="0" endTime="14808" duration="14808">

this Phase takes 15s.

I can see that those driver is a bit too slow to start:

<pnpObject name="SRTSP" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="6062" endTime="8695" duration="2633" prePendTime="2633" />
<pnpObject name="\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SRTSP" type="unknown" activity="unknown" startTime="6148" endTime="8695" duration="2547" prePendTime="2547" />

what is this SRTSP driver? Can you install an update?

next the AMD drivers are slow:

<pnpObject name="amdkmdap" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="13909" endTime="19452" duration="5542" prePendTime="5542" />
<pnpObject name="\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\amdkmdap" type="unknown" activity="unknown" startTime="14055" endTime="19452" duration="5397" prePendTime="5397" />
<pnpObject name="intelkmd" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="14926" endTime="18283" duration="3356" prePendTime="3356" />
<pnpObject name="NETwNs64" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="20532" endTime="22280" duration="1747" prePendTime="1747" />

Install the Catalyst 11.5 driver for your ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400. Also update the Intel Wireless driver (NETwNs64 - Intel® WiFi Link 5100 AGN). The Intelkmd looks like the Intel graphic card driver (Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express). Update this driver, too. Which chip do you use most time? The Intel or the AMD? If you only use 1, disable the other.

<interval name="WinlogonInit" startTime="36266" endTime="101416" duration="65149">
- <winlogon numNotifications="3">
- <notification type="CreateSession" sessionId="1" startTime="53334" endTime="74859" duration="21525">
<subscriber name="GPClient" startTime="53334" endTime="74858" duration="21524" />
<subscriber name="TermSrv" startTime="74858" endTime="74859" duration="1" />
</notification>
- <notification type="Logon" sessionId="1" startTime="88650" endTime="100619" duration="11969">
<subscriber name="Profiles" startTime="88650" endTime="95054" duration="6403" />
<subscriber name="GPClient" startTime="95054" endTime="100614" duration="5559" />

The WinlogonInit Phase is slow because of the group policies you apply. It takes 21.5s to start the user session because the GP Client takes 21.4s to finish. I saw this message in the trace: "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. " So the server can't be found. Make sure the server is available when you logon. Also ask the admin about the group policies.

Also starting all services takes too long (69s):

- <services autoStartStartTime="42642" autoStartEndTime="111673" autoStartDuration="69031">

where the following services take some time to start:

serviceTransition name="vpnagent" group="TDI" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="5604"
serviceTransition name="FontCache3.0.0.0" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="34532"
serviceTransition name="VMAuthdService" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="14568"

You can stop the FontCache3.0.0.0 service and set the starttype to disabled. I only effects some WPF applications. You can also set the startype of the VMWare services to "on demand" and run them from a script (net start VMAuthdService) and run the script with the task scheduler a few minutes after the boot is done).

the ExplorerInit and PostBoot take 50s. The Symnatec Endpoint protection and the large amount of tools like the LENOVO tools for your laptop cause the delay. Check which tools are not required all time and disable them with AutoRuns.

You must also run the Prefetcher optimization I liked in the first topic. Your Prefetcher is completely unoptimized. It has a lot of misses which causes a large amount of HDD IO activity.

I now look at the standby trace and tell you the results.

<pnpObject name="SRTSP" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="6062" endTime="8695" duration="2633" prePendTime="2633" />
<pnpObject name="\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SRTSP" type="unknown" activity="unknown" startTime="6148" endTime="8695" duration="2547" prePendTime="2547" />

what is this SRTSP driver? Can you install an update?

It is a Symantec Endpoint Protection driver. I'll reinstall and see if it helps

next the AMD drivers are slow:

<pnpObject name="amdkmdap" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="13909" endTime="19452" duration="5542" prePendTime="5542" />
<pnpObject name="\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\amdkmdap" type="unknown" activity="unknown" startTime="14055" endTime="19452" duration="5397" prePendTime="5397" />
<pnpObject name="intelkmd" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="14926" endTime="18283" duration="3356" prePendTime="3356" />
<pnpObject name="NETwNs64" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="20532" endTime="22280" duration="1747" prePendTime="1747" />

Install the Catalyst 11.5 driver for your ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400. Also update the Intel Wireless driver (NETwNs64 - Intel® WiFi Link 5100 AGN). The Intelkmd looks like the Intel graphic card driver (Mobile Intel® 4 Series Express). Update this driver, too. Which chip do you use most time? The Intel or the AMD? If you only use 1, disable the other.

My video card is a "switchable" graphics card. I can either have it run the ATI card if I want high performance or the Intel card if I want to save energy. The Catalyst 11.5 driver won't install and I have the most up to date driver from Lenovo.

The WinlogonInit Phase is slow because of the group policies you apply. It takes 21.5s to start the user session because the GP Client takes 21.4s to finish. I saw this message in the trace: "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. " So the server can't be found. Make sure the server is available when you logon. Also ask the admin about the group policies.

I'll have to try to find out why it is saying the domain doesn't exist.

Also starting all services takes too long (69s):

- <services autoStartStartTime="42642" autoStartEndTime="111673" autoStartDuration="69031">

where the following services take some time to start:

serviceTransition name="vpnagent" group="TDI" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="5604"
serviceTransition name="FontCache3.0.0.0" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="34532"
serviceTransition name="VMAuthdService" group="" transition="start" totalTransitionTimeDelta="14568"

You can stop the FontCache3.0.0.0 service and set the starttype to disabled. I only effects some WPF applications. You can also set the startype of the VMWare services to "on demand" and run them from a script (net start VMAuthdService) and run the script with the task scheduler a few minutes after the boot is done).

the ExplorerInit and PostBoot take 50s. The Symnatec Endpoint protection and the large amount of tools like the LENOVO tools for your laptop cause the delay. Check which tools are not required all time and disable them with AutoRuns.

I've disabled FontCache and the VMware services. I'll see which Lenovo tools I can disable.

You must also run the Prefetcher optimization I liked in the first topic. Your Prefetcher is completely unoptimized. It has a lot of misses which causes a large amount of HDD IO activity.

I now look at the standby trace and tell you the results.

I'll do this and post new files after I make all the changes.

it is a bit better:

timing bootDoneViaExplorer="101374" bootDoneViaPostBoot="132174" osLoaderDuration="2325" postBootRequiredIdleTime="10000" postBootDisturbance="20800"

booting to the desktop takes 101s and Windows is booted completely in 122s.

<interval name="PreSMSS" startTime="0" endTime="14782" duration="14782">
<phase name="systemStart" startTime="3915" endTime="14526" duration="10610">
<pnpObject name="SRTSP" type="Driver" activity="Load" startTime="4392" endTime="6770" duration="2377" prePendTime="2377" />
<pnpObject name="\REGISTRY\MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\services\SRTSP" type="unknown" activity="unknown" startTime="4413" endTime="6770" duration="2356" prePendTime="2356" />

again, the Symantec drivers are a bit slow. The SMSSInit phase still takes too long. The time difference between both csrss.exe shows me that loading the graphic drivers still takes too long.

<interval name="SMSSInit" startTime="14782" endTime="42792" duration="28010">

<interval name="WinlogonInit" startTime="42792" endTime="95105" duration="52312">
- <winlogon numNotifications="3">
- <notification type="CreateSession" sessionId="1" startTime="57585" endTime="66330" duration="8745">
<subscriber name="GPClient" startTime="57585" endTime="66328" duration="8743" />

the group policies take 8.8 seconds which is faster but the WinlogonInit phase takes too long becasue RequestCredentials takes 24 seconds. Type in the password faster. The starting the services is faster:

<services autoStartStartTime="54591" autoStartEndTime="81762" autoStartDuration="27171">

the applications at startup take 20 to finish. i can see that the memory usage is extremely high (2GB in use at the boot time). Look if you can remove more tools and if you can update Symantec.

Thanks. Any idea why resuming from sleep is so slow? If I sleep and resume right away (or within an hour or so), the logon screen pops right up. However, if I put it to sleep when I leave work in the evening and then resume in the morning, it takes a long time for the logon screen to come up.

the applications at startup take 20 to finish. i can see that the memory usage is extremely high (2GB in use at the boot time). Look if you can remove more tools and if you can update Symantec.

What is the best way to find out what applications/services are using the memory. Task Manager doesn't seem to show me all of the memory allocations.