Run Windows 7 XP Mode even if your CPU doesn't have support for VT

MagicAndre1981

And if you look around, I'm sure you can get the Q6600, retail boxed, for under $200 new. Newegg had them this past summer for around $185 and it wasn't a sale price. I wasn't aware they no longer carry it.

It's EOL'ed since last may, so nope. Not in stock anywhere. Not that it would be worth it either (same price as the newer quads, just slower).

Wait till just after Xmas, when prices normally drop.

Intel won't make sub-$200 quads. They just discontinue the older models like the Q6600 and replace them.

TigerDirect currently has the Q6700 in OEM packaging for $199, and the Q9400 retail box for $180, both have VT

At TigerDirect.ca (mind you that's the very last place I'd shop at), the Q6700 is $215 + taxes + shipping, or $242.67 shipped. Same story for the Q9400.

ChiefValue.com, which is a Newegg company and does ship to Canada, has the Q9400 retail box for $190 and the Q6600 OEM and retail box both for $200. Though they are currently out of stock on both.

($190 * exchange rate) + international shipping + customs clearance would be a lot higher than $200 still (easily over $250). And the thought of possibly having to RMA something internationally isn't very appealing. Nevermind, they say they don't ship to Canada:

We are sorry. ChiefValue.com does not ship internationally. At this time. We only ship within the United States and Puerto Rico.

and:

No International/Canadian shipments.

And it's also out of stock (the Q6600 won't be back in stock anytime soon either)

Like I said, you just have to look around.

...for something that doesn't exist? The only way to get a quad with VT under $200 in Canada right now is to go with AMD. And at $200+ for an older socket 775 quad, I might as well sell my current CPU + 8GB of fast DDR2 and nice motherboard (would sell easily over $200 locally, so $450 or so budget already) and get a i5 750 + socket 1156 mobo and 8GB DDR3 instead for like $50 extra.

I don't see the point in spending nearly as much (like $50 less) for a slower chip and being stuck with the older chipset, DDR2 instead of DDR3 (more expensive to upgrade already) and overall older tech. The i5 delivers more bang for your buck, is more modern and future proof. Then again, I'm not looking at spending that much on an upgrade (as much as the kids' last boxes cost altogether -- and they do have VT) that I don't really need speed-wise (don't want to downgrade either - especially not spend a 3 digit sum for a downgrade!), just to have VT.

Looks like it sucks to buy hardware in Canada.

At least you don't live in Australia. Have you seen the prices there? Insanely high, which is retarded considering most computer parts are made just a few hundred miles away.

Even with the US dollar currently at less than 50% of it's value this time last year, and losing more, America still beats the rest of the world in electronics prices. Go figure.

Odd that Newegg ships to Canada, but ChiefValue doesn't. Especially when it's the same company and the products come out of the same warehouses.

I haven't shopped at TigerDirect in years because their prices are too high, but they are a reliable company. Never had a problem with them.

Edited by SyntaxError