What can & cannot be done to windows 7 via vlite 1.2?

squeezin

So, after reading tons of posts and a handful of long guides...im totally confused.

Im looking to trim a little fat off my windows 7 ultimate via vlite 1.2....since there doesnt seem to be any other app out there that even comes close to its ability. Man i miss XP and nlite....anyways.

My main confusion is that there seems to be a huge margin of mixed results with trimming windows 7 via vlite 1.2.

Not sure if its only user / computer related issues...or because of the win 7 version itself...

So basically what im trying to find out is what are the known limitations / problems of vlite with windows 7?

Not really familiar with vlite yet...never wanted to waste my time on a POS like vista. But i have tons of exp with XP and nlite...FYI if it helps.

Any and all help is greaty appreciated :)

The usual vague answer that i expected...but none the less, you steered me in what appears to be the right direction.

Thank you much !

All im looking to do is remove the "absolute worthless stuff that takes up a lot of space".

Things like:

Speech Support - 600+mb

Languages - 1300+mb

Music and video samples - 400+mb WTF

Natual Language - 1100+ mb

So far i tried removing the above with no luck. Granted i did it in a rush with minimal reading...

Also, I was not given the option to create an iso in vlite 1.2 of my end product...stayed grayed out.

Tried creating one with folder2iso, but no luck in a worthy OS...

BAH!

hmmm...what did i do wrong...

stupid question....but do i need to be running a x64 XP version when trying to create the windows 7 x64 edited image via vlite 1.2?

Im running x86 XP right now and during the windows 7 OS edit via vlite 1.2...

The only thing other than that is maybe i F'd something up for the vlite 1.2 install....i did have a lil trouble getting the required MS components to install... I dont remeber exactly how i got it to go thru, but it did eventually get me away from the initial vlite 1.2 ms components bs WAIK install screen...just a thought.

How much fat did you shed by getting rid of those four components / system objects??

Ill have to load up my x64 XP image tomorrow and give it a try again.

It made no sense why vlite1.2 would give me the option to create an iso....

Edited by squeezin

Final install size of win7 home premium without hibernate file and with a gig page file?

4.71gigs

it was easy I selected the 4 options then went apply, rebuild one and then the iso tab became active.

3.66 without a pagefile.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

well all went well after i loaded up a clean image of XP and reinstalled vlite 1.2.

I must have missed the iso option for whatever reason...

Aside from the four mention previously, i also removed "tablet PC" at 733mb..

By any chance do you recall the ISO size after removing the 4 components?

Mine is at 2.13Gb for the iso

Install size after hibernate removal 6.6 Gb.

Granted i installed the windows 7 (ultimate) iso with vmware and have a virtual disk at 24Gb...but i would still think the footprint would be a lot smaller than 6.6 gigs... any ideas???

And the really weird thing is that...i didnt touch the automated install option, nor put any info in. And after windows 7 finished loading in vmware....it already had created my usual "OWNER" user account and my local password from my host machine for that account. This i know for sure i did not put in any field anywhere....weird.

Edited by squeezin