XP Pro x64 and Nlite

spicychicken

Hello all!

I'm not sure exactly where I schould start. i'm working on win "xp pro x86" and would

like to do a fresh install of "xp pro x64". so.... I have been trying to gather as much

info as i can & reading up on using "NLITE". I believe I have to of course add all the

nessasary drivers not found on install disk, or to say the least amount to get it up and

running; ether by the f6 method or slipstreaming with "nlite". And the saga begins!.

System specs are as follows:

o/s: win xp pro, ser pack 2 (build 2600)

Mainboard: Tyan thunder "k8we s2895"

processor: 2.40gz, amd dual core opteron, (2 installed)

Ram: 8 gig

drives: 1 dvd, 1cd on ide, 1 floppy. 3 hddv's: (storage), 2 set for raid 0, all ran

on card: "siig" sata 4-channel raid controller. 2 main drives ("c"), both in removable

drv trays.

Ok, if i can use "nlite" to add drivers for x64 disk, can i do this while in x86?, if

not im back to "f6". and im getting a little confused about which drivers i have to add. I

have gone to "tyan's" website and got all x64 drv's listed for Mboard. Before i start,

I would appreciate any advice! Maybe im posting in wrong forum, if so i apoligize ahead of

time. I forgot to say " im trying to install xp pro x64, with rel date:june 2006,

(new) sp1?. Allso would like to say everything has been working neer flawless in x86 so far.

resp: Spicey

Edited by PC_LOAD_LETTER
Fixed topic title. please see rule 12

spicychicken, you should have no problem using XP (32 bit) running nLite to create an x64 ISO, except for adding an SP. There is a good tutorial for x64 by Kurt_Aust. Please give it a read. He will tell you how to get around the restriction on SPs. He also has an up-to-date hot fix list and other install options you may need. When using nLite, you cannot use F6 to install text mode drivers unless you disable OEM Preinstall. Please go to the Unattended section and look at the Help text on the OEM Preinstall. If fact, it is very useful to read all the Help text messages in nLite (? in a circle). Since the guides are rather limited, these are very useful. If you will post a link to your MB driver DLs, we will take a look and see what we can determine. NLite will tell you what SP is installed on your CD when you bring it up. Now, I have a question for you. Since you have two Opteron processors, do you need two copies of Windows and/or two license keys? As a final note if you encounter problems, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

Since you have two Opteron processors, do you need two copies of Windows and/or two license keys?

From: Frequently asked questions about Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

Q. Will Windows XP Professional X64 Edition support two dual core processors? Isn't that the same as four processors?

A. Almost the same, but Windows is actually licensed per socket, not per core. So, even though Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is limited to only two processors, it will see the two dual core processors as two processors for licensing purposes, and four processors for running Windows.

Edited by 5eraph

Mainboard: Tyan thunder "k8we s2895"

drives: 1 dvd, 1cd on ide, 1 floppy. 3 hddv's: (storage), 2 set for raid 0, all ran

on card: "siig" sata 4-channel raid controller. 2 main drives ("c"), both in removable

drv trays.

I understand you boot from cd or dvd on ide.

There is a NVRAID controller onboard.

http://www.tyan.com/archive/products/html/thunderk8we.html

Which target drive do you like to use?

Is the on card: "siig" a addional PCI card? Like http://www.siig.com/ViewProduct.aspx?pn=SC-SA4R12-S2

Then add relating siig drivers as textmode drivers.

Can you run and port the result?

devcon.exe hwids *cc_01* *raid* *scsi*

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272

Hi everyone!, Thank-you for your responses. First off, I left out some important info.

Both boot "c" drv’s are attached via “sata” mounted to mb. I only mount 1 boot drv at a

time. Also Video card: pny quadro FX 4400 (pci-e). Sound Card: Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS

(pci-x). I also have a canopus 1394 advc card on pci (32bit) – this may or may not work in

“x64” as I haven’t found any updated drv’s. Sata controller card (pci-x) supporting the 3

storage drv’s: (2) being set to “raid 0”.

Johnhc: Thanks for your reply, I have been reading thru tut (kurt aust). Will have to

read up on “unattended” & im trying to get away with using “f6” for drv’s, Hence “Nlite”

Solution. And im reading manual. Per “5eraph” x64 will see all 4 processors for windows &

See 2 dual core proc as 2 proc for lic……thanks “5eraph”.

MB link: http://www.tyan.com/archive/products/html/thunderk8we.html

MB drv link: http://www.tyan.com/archive/support/html/d...rs_support.html

As per “kurt Aust” tut – I was already prepping workstation for installing “VirtualBox”

on main drv for testing. Good idea!.

Not to get ahead of myself, but my primary concern was slipstreaming drivers for “x64”,

Should I also plan on integrating service pack’s at same time or am I biting off to much?.

5eraph: Thank-You

Fdv: reading thru, Thanks

Cdob: Sorry, actually I boot “c” drv’s off Sata – 1 at a time. So I guess 1 would be

target. And yes the link showing card looks correct. Thank-you. I’m also looking into the

link provided “devcon utility” and if this will help sort out my needs with respect to

receiving accurate directions, then it sounds ok by me. Thanks.

I would also like to elaborate further; I have did a lot of drv swap thru device manager

but somehow missed having to load with “f6” at install. Been looking at Nlite for sometime

now & wanted to learn. As I have 4 machine’s here that I wanted to update “licensed”

install disks for future use. Gost has saved my but many times but you know

s..t happens, and I plan on redoing 3 of them. So Nlite sound great!. Almost forgot, my

“xp x64” disk says it can only be installed with “boot from cd” even after saved to

desktop. What the ……? And another maybe stupid question: Can (does it matter) if

I create this “slipstreamed” cd on another pc, as opposed to on the 1 I’ll be installing

“x64”?. Sorry, had to ask.

Thanks again; Resp: Spicy

spicychicken, I do all my building in one nLite run - add SP2, drivers, hot fixes and run Kurt_Aust's process from the RunOnce exit in Unattended section. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I took a look at your MB driver DL page. I DLed some and extracted them. I found one which contained a txtsetup.oem file (required for text mode - F6), most of the others made little sense to me. If we can find a driver with a txtsetup.oem file for the RAID you want to install Windows on, you should be able to get away from F6. There seems to be many, many choices of drivers for various configurations. The driver expert here is Fernando 1 - may have to call him into action. I think you need to let us know exactly which RAID you wish to install Windows on and we will try to help.

Edited by johnhc

most of the others made little sense to me. If we can find a driver with a txtsetup.oem file for the RAID you want to install Windows on, you should be able to get away from F6.

Hi Johnhc: __Im sorry for the confusion. Here's whats happening, I'm going to try & install "nlited cd (xp x64)" onto one of my "c" drvs. which are powered by "onboard sata". I will try & follow advice given here & integrate service pack needed as well as drivers per ref guides as noted. I am going back over my list of drivers to make a better compilation. And yes reviewing the dnld drivers link for mb gets confusing, but lists all specific drivers by mb model no. If i have any issues pertaining to "nlite" i'll re-post, other wise i'll post in appropriate forum "yes?".

The issue with "raid" is that those necessary drvs need to be loaded to see my "storage" drvs (3), as they are mounted on controller card. Which currently have a large amount of data. I have however did a bkup of both drvs (1 + 1 as raid 0-2 drvs) on new drv in case of a catastrophe. However, it has been implied to me by installing "xp x64" which doesn't have sata/raid & controller card drivers, that upon successful loading will reset themselves, loosing existing data already stored. ...truth? i dont know. schould they be unpluged prior to install? install nlited cd, then check for drivers loaded, if went well, re-plug sata cables? Hopefully seeing drvs and not loosing data. Im still using 32bit mode. Sorry if got off topic. Thanks johnhc its getting a little perplexing!.

Hi cdob: __Thank-You.

spicychicken, I would not think it possible that a RAID without a driver would 'reset' and lose all its data. I could be wrong (have been before). It would be safer to unplug it but you will need to plug it in sometime. I have two RAID controllers (onboard and 3Ware). Sometimes I have all my drives attached to one and sometime to the other for testing purposes. I run only one array and install x64 on it. No problems, but I am not expecting data to remain across reconfiguration. You only need to 'see' one drive/array for install and therefore only need a text mode (txtsetup.oem) driver for it - will also serve as the normal mode driver after install. The other drives/arrays will need only normal mode drivers and these can be installed during Windows installation (Slipstreamed) or after install. They must all be 64 bit drivers.

I highly recommend that you use a virtual system (VirtualBox and VMware Server both support x64 and are free). It will not test drivers in most cases (certainly not text mode) but is very useful for testing. Please do keep us informed how things are going and please attach your Last Session. There are lots of smart people helping here. Enjoy, John.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, sorry for not posting in a while. Anyways been doing alot of reading, the more reading, the more confused ive gotten. Ha!..... I know all these guides have been written for people with...well, some bkground experiance which makes it a little harder. Many differant ways to approach.

Ok, first off i setup VirtualBox, & thought id try a few sessions with xp x86. thought it would maybe be easier, i dont know......have the drivers and all. Wont go in great detail, know its not the place. Did slipstream a few cds with nlite, keeping it simple, just added drivers. most importantly "sata & ide" . Drivers seemed to load with out f6, which was cool. But couldnt be verified in VM. Guess ill have to get a real harddrive for testing. Seems like its defeating the purpose of testing (simulating) in VirtualBox. I thought "sata" could be emulated... maybe, but i couldnt get it to work.

I want to thank everone for helpful advise. Ill keep reading, cant afford a new drive right now. I'll be back...............

...............Resp:__Spicychicken

spicychicken, nice to hear from you again. One of the drawbacks of VM testing is little driver verification. I was able to test my printer driver on VMware Server because I could attach the printer to the VM via the USB port. It is true that the F6 type drivers need to be tested in real hardware. In my case, I built (and tested on VM) two versions of XP x64 and both installed the first time on the real HW, two different machines. They were not bug free but mostly good-to-go due to the VM testing. I have most of my applications installed, theme set, IE8 installed and customized to my liking, and more. Enjoy, John.