New install on RAID10 freezes after disk.sys

I have searched, researched, tried, tried again and I seem to be running in circles here :wacko:

I'm trying to install 7 Pro Retail for a client's business

The problem: After 7 installs and reboots, the system hangs at the "Windows is starting" 4 color blob logo or immediately after disk.sys in safe mode

The system: Dell Dimension 8400 with SIL3124 based addon card and 4 sata hdds

What I've tried:

• I used Win Integrator to integrate raid drivers into the install which didn't help at all because I still have to load drivers from a USB drive for install to recognize the controller. (SIL3124 driver is WHQL)
  • I tried disabling diver signature enforcement during install and during boot.
  • The board has an ICH6R chipset but I have no hdd's connected to it so I don't think it's relevant. Anyway, BIOS has two options for this (RAID,AHCI), and (RAID,ATA). I have tried both
  • I have tried installing from CD and USB flash drive.

Other Notes: The video card is PCI-E but there is no onboard video and I have nothing to swap with. The BIOS is Rev. A05 and the latest is A09 but AFAICT, it requires windows installed to upgrade it and I can't even install XP on this d*mn thing with only one hdd connected (after 1st phase of install, it constantly reboots and flashes some kind of error then reboots again)

EDIT

Ok, now my situation is that I cannot get Win7 to recognize the raid array. I have updated the rom on the add-on card. I have updated the Dell bios to the latest rev. When I load the Sil3124r.inf no drives are recognized. After that, I can load the Sil Pseudo Processor driver. Still doesn't recognize any drives. I can't even figure out wtf I did before to get it to recognize a raid array.

Edited by selyb

While it is likely possible to make your setup work, I wouldn't really recommend it for 2 reasons:

1. Your OS should not be on the RAID10. Your data should be kept on a separate array than your OS, or at least separate physical drives. I typically set up a RAID10 on the card (like you have done) and then put either a JBOD or RAID1 onboard for the OS.

2. I would typically only set up a RAID10 with a minimum of 6 drives, as things could go south on you real quick with only 4 drives. This maybe just a superstition of mine tho.

XP could have a problem with the install if your total volume size is larger than 2TB. You did not post what your total volume size is!

For Windows 7 (if you insist on this method) make sure you are using the Windows 7 drivers, and not the ones for Vista or XP. You should be able to use 2008 R2 drivers as well.

Also, what arch of 7 are you using?

Moving this to 7 Unattend forum.