Login user image (tile)

epic

Is it possible to remove the 'Tile' at login? If so, how. It's a bit annoying.

Also, remove the Orb (hour glass) upon boot - logon.

The 'Tile' is above username/password

x3vp0j.png

If I find anything I'll share my findings.

Edited by epic

Looks like you already deleted the Default user image, and are left with an empty frame at login.

Note: The default user picture is stored at %PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\user.bmp. The default guest picture is stored at %PROGRAMDATA%\Microsoft\User Account Pictures\guest.bmp. If the default pictures do not exist, an empty frame is displayed.
Haven't found that empty frame yet, but have only checked a few places (WinLogon.exe, LogonUI.exe, winload.exe, shell32.dll, spwizimg.dll, themeui.dll, ntoskrnl.exe etc.). Best bet is to get PE Explorer and start poking around, there are 11,064 files in my System32 folder, so with the 14 or so that I checked, only 11,050 more to go.

Assume the orb is just the standard cursor being shown early during the boot sequence, and it goes unresponsive because the boot sequence has RT or AboveNormal priority. M$ likely displays the cursor early knowing it will do this, just to give indication computer is actually busy. Let me know if you find a way to disable.

Here is some other things ran across, an article for login button configuration.

To change your button set, simply jump to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI and add a DWORD value named ButtonSet. The supported integer values range from 0 to 2, with each value defined below.

* 0 – Lighter text shadows, darker (more opaque) buttons (Windows default)

* 1 – Darker text shadows, lighter (more translucent) buttons (for lighter backgrounds)

* 2 – No text shadows, opaque buttons (for darker backgrounds)

And found a way to modify the Text "Hibernating" and "It is now safe to turn off your computer" via the bmp resources #2 and #3 in these files.
c:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe
c:\Windows\System32\ntkrnlpa.exe

Edited by MrJinje

frame is in explorer.exe

under Bitmap section resource numbers 7013, 7014, 7015 and 7016

but doesnt look it shares the one in logon screen

as for cursor, take a look in aero.msstyle, under stream section :)

Edited by vinifera

frame is in explorer.exe

under Bitmap section resource numbers 7013, 7014, 7015 and 7016

but doesnt look it shares the one in logon screen

Not sure that is the right frame either, deleted all four of those from explorer.exe and I still got the Empty frame, (just not my custom user bmp). So I think the resources in explorer.exe are used only for displaying the user bmp inside the frame.

and just to be clear, powered down my lappy, pulled the 2.5" SATA and plugged into esata caddy. Took ownership and replaced the explorer.exe from my main rig. Finally replaced HDD in lappy and booted up.

On the right path, but still missing something.

Edited by MrJinje

The cursor, else, orb. Is located in imageres.dll. I'm not certain as to which authui.dll is calling for, in fact if authui.dll is even the correct file to be looking in. I'm guessing, it could possibly be in the file which holds the logon message text(?).

I changed all the tile images in authui.dll , however , the tile still displays a 2D version of it, not beveled as it use to. Also set the secpol.msc to Enable the display of last logged on user. That did not work. Sad to say, I'm not as dedicated to this stuff anymore.

authui.dll modified tiles

oglw0y.jpg

secpol enforced / authui.dll modified tiles

2wp0cd4.jpg

It would be nice if someone would pick up on it... hopefully someone will and have the same idea that the old classic logon was a bit more professional and original. Removing the tile and spinning orb (the welcome screen orb...) is our only option , besides enterprise , for a 'classic' feel.

Edited by epic

• 1 month later...

In order to remove the user picture tile completely, you must edit the xml in the file authui.dll > UIFILE > 12400, 12401, 12402. Basically you have to delete any picture components in these three file, that should remove them entirely from the logon screen... be careful with this, I wouldn't recommend trying it unless you have a dual boot setup as you can really screw up the operation of your OS. I have been really glad to boot to vista and fix all this stuff on more than one occasion.

You can delete the "Windows 7 Ultimate" branding by going to "Windows/Branding/ShellBRD/ShellBRD.DLL" and removing all the bitmaps from this file. Sorry for the multiple posts, it just occured to me that maybe I could save someone the hassle of all the hunting I've had to do to customize this screen