Five USB Controllers and 2 USB ports: Are Both Hi Speed? How do I know

DreamsCentral

Hi All,

Please take a look at this screenshot that depicts five USB controllers out of which, one is marked "Enhanced". My laptop has 2 USB ports. Now I am in doubt if both are of same type.

The problem: I want to make good use of my wireless BB stick. But as you can see in the screenshot, it is attached to a different hub. I tried pluggin in the USB stick into the other port. Still, it did not appear under the "Enhanced" Controller.

Now, I wish to know:

1) if that makes any difference?

2) are both USB ports of same type?

3) and finally, is it possible to get the device under the "Enhanced" USB Controller - so as to improve on speed?

Also, I can't understand why it shows five hubs when there are only two USB ports. (I realized this only today... its five on almost every machine irrespective of number of port numbers!)

--

Best Regards,

DreamsCentral

Twitter: @DreamsCentral

Signed: Monday, November 16, 2009, 2:26:49 AM IST

This happens because the actual hardware support on the board may not be physically connected to ports on the notebook. Another example, is that some mobile Intel notebook chipsets/BIOS will show a support for RAID even tho there is only 1 SATA port. Its the same idea.

To see if your ports are USB 2.0, instead of 1.1, plug in a USB 2.0 device (usually a UFD) and see if the "your device could perform faster" tooltip. If you get this, you have USB 1.1. If you don't get this, you have USB 2.0.

Hi,

Dunno y I did not receive an email reg ur ans.

Still, thanks for the simple solution. Though I figured it out, your post will help me while dealing with others' machines.

--

Best Regards,

DreamsCentral

Twitter: @DreamsCentral

Signed: Tuesday, November 24, 2009, 9:26:15 PM IST