limiting dhcp scopes to certain devices

bj-kaiser

actually I would like to get around using reservations. if there was a possibility to filter for somelthing like "MAC adress begins with AA-BB-CC or AA-BB-DD" and limit the scope to that, that would be a great help. As right now the situation is that most of my printer NICs are from not more than 2 different manufacturers. (We got a pretty homogenous printer collection)

edit:

this looks interesting

http://blogs.technet.com/teamdhcp/archive/...allout-dll.aspx

Edited by bj-kaiser

actually I would like to get around using reservations. if there was a possibility to filter for somelthing like "MAC adress begins with AA-BB-CC or AA-BB-DD" and limit the scope to that, that would be a great help. As right now the situation is that most of my printer NICs are from not more than 2 different manufacturers. (We got a pretty homogenous printer collection)

edit:

this looks interesting

http://blogs.technet.com/teamdhcp/archive/...allout-dll.aspx

Check out these links. Looks simple enough, probably need entries for each printer mfg.

Link How-to

Link Technet

Not sure you will need that add-in dll, but does look like it has cool features. Post back if it's easy to use, we have a need to banish all iPhones in my house. Modern Punishments for Modern Kids.

Edited by MrJinje

Check out these links. Looks simple enough, probably need entries for each printer mfg.

Link How-to

Link Technet

Not sure you will need that add-in dll, but does look like it has cool features. Post back if it's easy to use, we have a need to banish all iPhones in my house. Modern Punishments for Modern Kids.

The two links of you do not really help me. They describe how to use user/vendor classes to hand out different settings depending on the user/vendor class the DHCP client sends with its request. (example: hand out adresses of provisioning servers to IP phones and the like).

This does not allow you to separate clients into different scopes/ip-ranges by user or vendor class.

and on your iphone problem, take a look at your DHCP traffic with the network monitor and figure out if the iPhones send DHCP vendor class in their requests. My printer NICs apparently don't.

And always remember, DHCP is a protocol from the good old times. you can always send a different vendor class if you can manipulate your DHCP client. So take that option of not handing them out IP adresses by blocking a certain vendor class with a grain of salt.

• 2 months later...

using a Vlan to connect the ports used by the printer and then assigning the DHP scope to the Vlan may be easier then trying to filter out ever other device on your network (not to mention putting a larger workload on your DHCP server) is there a need too have all th eprinters set to DHCP would it be preferable to set static IP's to printers to make it easier to find and remeber said printers?