Winpe 3.0 installing a msi from within winpe 3.0

clivebuckwheat

Hi

I am trying to install some custom Internet explorer settings and I have a working msi, when I click it and run it within XP my settings are there. I would like it to be able to run it with winpe 3.0 .

Here's what I am doing inside the windows pe 3.0 cmd window

1. copy the mymsifile.msi file to c:\windows\system32

2. cd c:\windows\system32\msiexec /i mymsifile.msi /passive /forcerestart

I see the windows installer status bar for a split second and then nothing happens what am i doing wrong guys?

1) WinPE is a static environment (for the most part). You make your changes and mods to WinPE, before you boot it up, not after.

2) WinPE doesn't include IE.

3) WinPE doesn't support MSI installations (see #1).

I find it really stupid that Microsoft didn't put support for running msi files from within winpe.

1) WinPE is a static environment (for the most part). You make your changes and mods to WinPE, before you boot it up, not after.

2) WinPE doesn't include IE.

3) WinPE doesn't support MSI installations (see #1).

I find it really stupid that Microsoft didn't put support for running msi files from within winpe.

It wouldn't make sense if they did. It is explicitly noted that the PE is not to be used as an operating system. Let's also consider the fact that WinPE's typical implementation is to use a RAMDISK as the hard drive (like a thin client) which means if you reboot, everything saved into that scratch space is erased. Win PE would be a perfect use product for a thin client, which was likely why they limit it so it cannot be used for that purpose.

Win PE would be a perfect use product for a thin client, which was likely why they limit it so it cannot be used for that purpose.

I wish they would at least offer a .Net Framework. That would open up a lot of development.