Dismount/Remove USB

Eagle710

I install a driver when WinPE is loaded using DRVLOAD however the drivers does not kick in until the USB key is physically unplugged. I noticied that once the key is remove the registry detects the PCI device which was the driver I installed.

Any ideas?

I've found in PE you have to inject the drivers using peimg (or dism), then edit the startnet.cmd file and drvload them also.

You could use a Diskpart script and the "rescan" command.

Noise,

I have injected the drivers on the offline WinPE image and then you recommend that I edit the startnet.cmd to drvload them again?

It seems like when I remove the USB the drvinst.exe process runs and once completed the driver is enabled and setup.... any ideas?

Once removed the driver actually takes effect on the system.

Edited by Eagle710

Add this to your startnet.cmd in WinPE:

FOR /F %%i in ('DIR /B /ON "%SystemRoot%\inf\oem*.inf"') do (
@ECHO Installing %%~ni
DRVLOAD "%SystemRoot%\inf\%%~i" > NUL
)

Custom driver are injected in WinPE and their INF files are re-named to start with OEM. This little scriptlet loads all drivers at startup.

I actually tried this:

If the name of the driver is net4.inf should i change the oem*.inf ?

This didn't work when I tried to use it both within the startnet.cmd and just running via command line it still requires me to remove the USB key in order for the PCI device to obtain an device ID.

Edited by Eagle710

After having injected the driver into the offline WinPE image and checking which drivers are running on the system using DriverView it seems as though the driver is not running. Only when I remove the USB key does the driver appear as installed/activiated in WinPE. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

So I have not determined what cause the driver to kick in after I unplug the USB key. However, I have found this little MS tool called Devcon.exe which is similar to Device Manager but using command line. I simply added the following command line into my winpeshl.ini to run at start and this allowed for the driver to activate.

Devcon.exe, /rescan