Excel 2003 Opening File Issue

SarahC

Excel 2003 2 users share the PC and have a folder shared out on the C Drive which holds shared files which they both have the same access rights to.

User A logs in and now when she tries to open an excel file from this shared folder on the C drive it won't open. The only way she can work around it is to open excel first and then open the file from the File menu and open.

User B on the same PC can open the excel files no problem from their location on the C drive.

They both have the same access rights.

It is only happening with Excel User A can open all Word documents with no issues from this shared folder?

It is only happening with Excel User A can open all Word documents with no issues from this shared folder?

File association broken for user A for .xls files? :unsure:

Try (as user A) to "Open with" and set the instance of Excel as associated with .xls extension.

and/or check with this:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~wstudios/Associate/

jaclaz

P.S.: iamthekey was (very slightly ;)) FASTER :blushing:

Edited by jaclaz

Hi iamtheky,

I tried the "open with" as you suggested and i am getting the following error message..."Windows cannot find filename. Make sure you type the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file click the start button and then click search."

So it appears that the file association is corrupt. Is there a solution or a work around for this?

Many thanks,

Sarah :yes:

that sounds a tad more permissions, are you sure that user doesnt have read only access to that folder?

can you, from a command prompt, run "CACLS filename" and confirm that the account in question displays as "computer/user:F" ?

Hi iamtheky,

I tried the "open with" as you suggested and i am getting the following error message..."Windows cannot find filename. Make sure you type the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file click the start button and then click search."

So it appears that the file association is corrupt. Is there a solution or a work around for this?

Many thanks,

Sarah :yes:

Yes, the best solution is to open any Office application. Click on Help and then "Detect and Repair". That will repair the corrupt registry entries for file associations.

You may be asked for your install CD but I think not.