Turn off autoplay without Vista claiming all discs are blank?

bizzybody

Vista Ultimate SP1. When I turn off autoplay for the dvd burner, Windows claims all discs are "blank" until I use Nero Info Tool to check the disc. *Then* Vista will go ahead and read the disc.

It will also fail to update the disc contents, showing the files and folders of the *previous* disc along with the contents of the current disc.

If I turn autoplay back on, the problem goes away but I have to put up with the annoyance of autoplay and its interference with burning discs.

Microsoft has created a virtual version of a bad floppy drive change line for optical discs.

TSST TS-L632D DVD/RW/RAM drive with latest firmware.

It's from a Dell laptop, I flashed it with the Toshiba firmware to enable all the media types the drive supports. Dell had Dual Layer DVD-R and DVD-RAM disabled, but Double Layer DVD+R was enabled. Exactly the same drive, just for some reason Dell decided to cripple it a bit.

Worked fine for quite a while with autoplay turned off, then one day it started acting up and only quit when I re-enabled autoplay. Probably some "critical update" caused it.