How to get back IPv6 support?

mirri888

Hi guys!

Back when I installed my nlite windows xp I chose to strip out IPv6 support.

But now I need IPv6. Is there any way I can install it back into my OS without having to reinstall the whole thing again?

I'm using Windows XP.

Thanks!

Hi! and thanks for the help guys

well I tried the suggestions you guys gave in the 1st 2 replies and all i was able to do was get Microsoft TCP/IP version 6 to be listed in the Local Area Connections Properties window. But it doesn't seem to function properly.

KB817778 looks like it might help me, but i cant install it as i get this error:

92641796.jpg

maybe the only way is to just reinstall my winxp without nlite? i hope to not have to do all that work but it might be the only way.

unless you have a trick that i can install KB817778?

So, I extracted KB817778 and this is an overview of the files inside; maybe it will help you find the necessary files from your service pack and put them in their right places. MS's site says the update is only for SP1, and is included in SP2 and on by default. There is also an update for TCP/IPv6 in KB951748.

I've followed the post and I'm sort of running out of the ideas here. Please report back with results.

mirri888, you are absolutely correct about KB817778. I failed to read the details. MS states clearly that the update applies only to SP1 and the changes are included in SP2. Sorry about that. This does give you a good hint as to where to look for the files you need to get it back - SP2. If you are knowledgeable, then take a look at SP2 and see if you can determine where IPv6 is in there. It may be easier to start afresh. Please let us know what you think. I am running XP x64 and can't seem to find a trace of IPv6 except for the listing in Local Area Connections. Enjoy, John.