Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer'

Ultimist

I get this error any time I vlite a Windows 7 image (any flavor), even if I choose to leave all drivers and hardware support intact. I don't get the same error (or any errors) when using the base image (un-vlited).

Setup goes through the first part, copying all the files...then a reboot, then hardware installation. It looks as if it is going to make it, but then I get this error, every single time.

Am I removing some other component I shouldn't? (I use SATA drives in Native IDE mode, if that helps).

It has been said many many times that with win7 and vlite you cannot use the ua settings page.

I am willing to bet that is your issue...

I was going to say the same thing Kelsenellenelvian said, but he/she beet me to it! Good luck with your issue.

Thank you for your helpful replies. I wasn't aware of the issue with vlite/win7 and unattended settings. I'll try a fresh image without ua settings and see what happens. Incidentally, I think my subject line must have been too long. It is supposed to read "Windows Setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware." which is what led me to believe it had something to do with drivers/hardware.

Anyway, thanks again. I'll see what happens when I leave out anything ua-related.

Edited by Ultimist

I should add, I've been an nlite/vlite user for years. I just haven't been to the forums very often because I haven't had many issues in the past... which is why I wasn't aware of the unattended bug with vlite and win7.

Well, using unattended settings in vlite is NOT the source of this problem. I just built a new image without any unattended options, tried to install on a virtual machine, and I get the same exact error. What now?

The only other thing I can think of that could *potentially* be a problem is that I perhaps didn't use the appropriate WAIK version of the wim filter... Instead, I installed vlite 1.1.6, installed the wimfilter from that version, then upgraded to vlite 1.2. Could that be the problem?

• 1 year later...

Well, after a long day of trial and error, I have narrowed my problem down to the removal of IE8. It seems that removing it with vlite breaks Windows Setup, at least for me.

Thanks for this info. I thought Internet explorer could be removed with vlite, but I suppose it cannot without doing more advanced things.

I see there's 2-3 packages that are available to remove using dism, perhaps that is the way to remove it, the troubleshooters one? the optional one? or both? (and probably NOT the HTML engine one though right?)