ide hard not recognized in bios

A minimum of info would be welcome... :rolleyes:

-was it recognised before or is it a new setup (or a second hand HDD) ?

-have you checked anything before posting ? :whistle:

-any other device on the IDE cable ?

-checked jumper settings?

-re-fastened both cables at both ends ?

-can you feel the drive spinning ?

-capacity of the drive vs. age of the motherboard/bios ?

Don't forget to set BIOS in scan mode for IDE drives on boot. Check IDE buses are not deactivated from BIOS.

Check if the drives power up when you switch on. Check the drives are properlly atached to the power supply, specially if you've done many drives plug/unplug operations with this power supply in the past, check cables have no damage in the junction with connector, even check the connectors (4 female in each one) and try to narrow slightly each one carefully by inserting a small flat head screwdriver between plastic and metal and applying a bit of presure with patience not to damage it.

Check master/slave configuration with the jumpers, in the same cable 1 drive has to be master and the other slave. Be careful, some drives has a jumper master settin for a single drive master with no slave drive on a cable. Check your IDE cables are 80 wires cables (unless your IDE HDD are so old that don't support UDMA-66 (ATA 5) or higher mode) though this only affects speed and not detection. Put the master device in the connector at the end of the cable and the slave in the intermediate connector. Check IDE cable for defects specially in the junction of cable with the connectors. Try with other IDE cables. If the cables are large, try with shorter ones.

Try putting the drive in another cable or with another drive in the same cable or with another jumper setting/position in cable.

Dont' use drives larger that 137 GB for BIOS not supporting 48-bit LBA addressing (though this shouldn't be a problem for the BIOS to detect it, just to map the drive beyond that limit)

Observe if drive makes strange noises when operating, it may be failing.

Edited by strel

i checked all of them

my 80gig hard worked befor.

i connect ide hdd to computer with sata hdd and work propraly

but after 20min system restarted and sata hdd recognized by bios but cap=0 i solved this problem

with rs232 to ttl and hyper terminal using command m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 . but ide hdd not rcognized in bios and ican't find any way to solve this problem.i want to know (are ide hdd have rx-tx pin?

how to connect to ide hdd with rs232 to ttl )