how to apply Proxy settings automatically?

Woomera

i have a wireless network containing both windows xp/vista and mac os clients. im using the built-in DHCP server on the Access Point. i would like to set proxy settings for all workstations automatically upon their connect to the network

is it possible to do so for any type of the clients without using Active Directory?

Thanks

Hi,

I found this link but I do not know if can be useful for you

ht*p://support.microsoft.com/kb/900935

Specifically Method 1 trough method 4..... and configure a proxy server by using the Proxycfg.exe

Basically you need to set your Internet Browsers to automatically discover the proxy setting....

I not sure if this work by the way.

and these one's

h*tp://blog.freyguy.com/archives/2006/03/01/proxy-auto-detect-ie-and-firefox/ (this is the most complete and technical)

ht*p://w*w.edugeek.net/forums/windows-server-2000-2003/30200-auto-detect-proxy-server.html

Regards,

Nolo

Edited by Nolo

• 3 weeks later...

Any browsers that support WPAD (either via DHCP or DNS, although DNS is preferred for cross-browser compat) can be configured to get proxy automatically. I believe Chrome, Safari, Firefox, and IE all support autoconfig via WPAD and a proxy script, and I'm unsure as to Opera's support (last I checked it didn't support WPAD, but I haven't tried 10.x yet).

Note you'd need a web server hosting the wpad.dat file that WPAD points to on the network and DNS or DHCP to point to it as the autoconfig URL.