2nd Hand Software

mikejf

Hi,

First post here.

Quick question on buying 2nd hand software.

Firstly, is it OK and legal and also if say I was to buy a 2nd hand copy of Windows XP pro complete with the serial number but the seller had already installed it and registered it with Microsoft, would I run into problems? I guess the same question for any software?

Many Thanks

Mikejf

I believe that if you buy a software product this way, and it comes with the CD Key, but it turns out the seller is still using the key, the seller is at fault and not you. And regarding Microsoft products, you would need to have in your possession the actual COA sticker. The COA is your proof that you are the only one allowed to use the key.

It may be more technical than this tho, policy is a complicated and often confusing thing.

Agreed.

mikejf, if you don't get the sticker don't buy it. Else you will become one of many who are getting scammed this way. If you have the actual 3D hologram-ish sticker there is practically nothing to prevent activation after a simple phone call and honest explanation.

I say almost because if it happens to be a WinXP OEM SLP arrangement that in effect ties this copy of WinXP only to one exact model of motherboard, it will not be legal and most likely will never work anyway. Well, not unless your motherboard matched his original.

What you are looking to buy is the so-called 'System Builder' OEM edition that is transferable to another motherboard and comes on a hologram CD-ROM (with the sticker and Key of course). Better yet is the obscenely overpriced full retail WinXP Pro.