DVDR stops reading certain disks

George27

This a new one on me. I have two liteon dvd burners. I had a Chrome browser crash (win32k.sys) blue screen and this was shortly after the last MS update of August. The odd thing started about that time the dvd burner started reading certain disks that I burned on Dynex media burned with Nero 8.3.13.0 as blank disks. I never burned a coaster on Dynex, for cheap media I thought it was great. I did a complete clean install of xpsp2. Inserted some of these Dynex disks and the burner was able to read them all. Did Ms update to xpsp3 and all the current patches and hot fixes. Same thing as originally, on certain disks if I place a disk in the burner it can read and quickly place one of the unreadable disks it will read it. With others both liteons see a blnk disk. Well by the looks of it it is something in the last patch update that is causing this. In the devicemanager everthing is aces. Any disks it burns now work just fine. I'm ordering a pair of plextor burners hopefully it will be able to read the disks.

Anyone have any clues as to what might be doing this?

Edited by George27

• 2 weeks later...

Fyi Anyone interested, this was a hardware problem anything that I mentioned was coincidental to it. Both of the liteons though in age were apart both started to fail simultaneousy. The plextors read all the disk that became unreadable.