lsass.exe error when installing windows

skippycostin

I have a XP SP3 cd, i downloaded all the most up to date updates, and put them into nlite in the order in which windows update installs them. The only update i didn't include was the one you get at the very beginning after a clean installation using windows update. It's a WGV download. Anyways, i burnt the new iso (with 50 odd updates/hotfixes/patches) and attempted to install. The install started, it formatted the drive, copied all the files it needs and then reboots ready to start the windows based installation. But after it starts up after rebooting, it says "Setup is being restarted..............." (something along those lines), flicks onto the screen where there's a mouse cursor, and then pops up an error message box titled lsass.exe and a message saying "internal error occured". then it restarts straight away, gets to the same point then complains about something else (the computer reboots so fast i can't see the message) and it just does that in a loop all the time. 1st message, reboot, 2nd message, reboot, 1st message, reboot etc etc...

Anyone come across anything like this? What could be causing the problem? Any ideas?

Thanks!

skippycostin, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

• 2 weeks later...

Try removing WMP11 with all its updates, IE8 updates and root certificate updates and .NET Framework 3.5 with along with SP1, as they cannot be installed directly through the hotfixes section.

I recommend you use a virtual machine to test the ISO before actually burning a CD/DVD.

I personally use Microsoft's VirtualPC 2007 SP1, but there are other free products as well, like VMware server or VirtualBox. I'm sure someone will add more to the list.

You can add WMP11 through addon integration using for e.g. info from Ryan's forums or Boooggy.

Use search for the rest.

Let me just add that none of these changes I suggested will probably change the role of lsass.exe. You can get more info through a simple Google search or HERE, and then try to establish what the problem is (a virtual machine will certainly help).

Cheers

Edited by Sp0iLedBrAt

• 2 months later...