How I got Quake Live working on Windows 2000

Today I tried QuakeLive and was met with some frustrating errors on my Windows 2000 workhorse. Fortunately fellow Windows 2000 die-hards out there had the solutions.

1.) IE6 not supported but Firefox is.

2.) the >1MB DBGHELP.DLL needs to be in the C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\ folder, or the Browser plugin won't load.

3.) After registering/installing the plugin, you get stuck at step 2 where you have to play a test game to see how well you rank. The problem is the game never launches and it just skips to "verifying results".

4.) The solution is here: http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthread....4321&page=2

Originally Posted by Riia View Post

QuakeLive runs on my Windows 2000.

I used OldCigarettes Windows 2000 XP API Wrapper Pack:

http://win2kgaming.site90.com/phpBB2/viewt...p;sk=t&sd=a

USER32.dll need to be wrapped. WinXP's dbghelp.dll is still needed.

1. copy "C:\WINNT\System32\USER32.dll" to "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\" and

rename it to USER32_ORG.dll.

2. copy API Wrapper Pack's USER32.dll to "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\".

3. Excute "ExcludeFromKnownDlls.reg" in API Wrapper Pack.

4. Restart PC.

5. Start QuakeLive.

QuakeLive seems to depend on several other WinXP DLLs, but it runs anyway on my PC.

Success!! I played 2 games no problem. My stats update properly too. :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...
That's some good info if anyone can use it. I personally don't like Quake live. Q3 is still better imo.

Original Quake and Quake II on the Playstation/PC = win. To play Quake 3 you practically need to be dosed up on speed - it's so fast paced!

Edited by JustinStacey.x

That's some good info if anyone can use it. I personally don't like Quake live. Q3 is still better imo.

Original Quake and Quake II on the Playstation/PC = win. To play Quake 3 you practically need to be dosed up on speed - it's so fast paced!

I didn't care for the Playstation versions, but at least it was better than Quake 64. If you think Q3 is bad at stock, you should see how fast it is on the servers I play on! :thumbup