product key question

Tibibs

Tibibs, not a stupid question. In general, purchased computers come with an OEM key and license. If you will read the EULA (End User License Agreement- do a Help and Support on EULA), you will see that you can install the copy of Windows on only one machine. This means one not one at a time as a retail license will allow. So, what this is saying, I think, is you can use your copy on Windows (CD) and the associated key on only the computer they came with. Hope this helps, but please read the EULA. Enjoy, John.

Chance is ... you can't use it with your Dell cd but you can use it with an other (OEM) cd.

I explain myself;

You have a license for your Dell PC so you can use your key with an equivalent product (XP Home or Pro, not both).

Your Dell cd probably uses a special key included in an answer file that, combined with a check with the machine's bios enables auto activation of your XP. It is possible that the key on your sticker does not work with that cd. Does the cd ask for a key at installation or is it all automated?

• 5 months later...

-PUSH-

i have the same question like the thread starter

i have a hp 2140 mini installed was vista but luckily there was a win xp pro cd in the package and no vista

i also have installed winxp and it is that automated install i dont have to type in an activation key for it and the sticker on my netbook is for vista

the ahci drivers are installed and service pack 2 also

in next few days i will reinstall xp on it and want to remove that crappy oem stuff and off course install the service pack 3

so will there be any problems errors etc or not

Edited by SpuTniC