Integrating mass storage device drivers in to windows server 2003

rajesh.it09

Hi ,

Without using nlite i want to integrate mass storage device drivers.

i have tried so many ways integrating mass storage device drivers in to windows server 2003 media. So that i can eliminate using floppy by pressing F6 to install the mass storage drivers.

I modified txtsetup.sif file like below.

steps

1. Added the following for [sourceDisksFiles] section

PERCSAS.SYS = 1,,,,,,4_,4,1,,,1,4

2. Added the following values to [HardwareIdsDatabase] section

[HardwareIdsDatabase]

PCI\VEN_1028&DEV_0015&SUBSYS_1F011028 = "percsas"

PCI\VEN_1028&DEV_0015&SUBSYS_1F021028 = "percsas"

PCI\VEN_1028&DEV_0015&SUBSYS_1F031028 = "percsas"

PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_0060&SUBSYS_1F0A1028 = "percsas"

PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_0060&SUBSYS_1F0B1028 = "percsas"

PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_0060&SUBSYS_1F0C1028 = "percsas"

PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_0060&SUBSYS_1F0D1028 = "percsas"

PCI\VEN_1000&DEV_0060&SUBSYS_1F111028 = "percsas"

3. Added below values to the [sCSI.Load] section

percsas = percsas.sys,4

4. Added below values to the [scsi] section

[sCSI]

percsas = "DELL PERC5 and PERC6/CERC6 RAID Controller Driver (Server 2003 32 bit)"

saved txtsetup.sif file and closed the file.

5. I have copied RAID (percsas) driver files to I386 folder of windows server 2003 CD content.

6. I prepared bootable CD for this windows server 2003 CD . i used this media on a Dell power edge 2900 machine.

when i used this windows server 2003 media on dell 2900 machine . It is detected hard drive and installation is success but getting one problem. In hte final step of installation machine will reboot once.

At this time machine is always restarting without launching welcome screen . I pressed F8 and selected safe mode in booting after showing acpitabl.dat file machine restart occurs.

Can any body help me to resolve this restart problem. The steps i followed are correct or not ?

@ rajesh.it09:

Since the hdd has been correctly detected by the OS Setup, the failure of the installation obviously was caused within the hardware detection part of the installation. You can verify the exact reason by having a look into the SETUPAPI.LOG file, which you will find within the WINDOWS directory of the W2k3 partition.

If the TXTSETUP.SIF file entries are correct (I don't know that for sure), I suspect, that the used textmode driver has not been correctly digitally signed by MS (no WHQL).

Exactly your scenario with endless reboots at the end of the OS installation happens, when an nForce RAID user tries to integrate unsigned nForce SATARAID drivers onto a Windows XP CD (unless they integrate them by a tool like nLite).Then the following happens:

At the beginning of the installation (TEXTMODE part), everything works fine with these drivers, but during the GUIMODE part the absolutely needed "NVIDIA nForce Serial SATA Controller" will be replaced by the wrong MS "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" with the result of a BSOD at last reboot.

You can prevent this by 3 different methods:

1. take a WHQL signed driver

2. integrate the driver by using a tool like nLite or XP-ISO-Builder (they use different methods to get the correct textmode driver installed)

3. use the "OemInfFiles method", which allows a manual integration of unsigned drivers (if you want more details, let it me know).

Side note:

It is not necessary to copy all driver files into the i386 directory of the OS CD. The only needed file is the driver itself, which has the extension ".SYS".