Need Help With Registry Problem

Monroe

I have a question about the 5 registry backups that "Scanreg.INI" keeps every day that Windows 98SE is turned on. I noticed today that one of the registry backups is dated 30 March 2009 and labeled "bad". It should have been replaced long ago with a newer backup but is still there. Is there a way I can get to this one particular registry backup that is labeled "bad" and manually delete it off the hard drive. Is there a registry program that will delete or clean out all or some of these backups. I'm wondering why it just wasn't replaced by a newer backup.

OK ... where would I go to right click and delete that bad registry. I am aware that there can be more than 5 backups ... actually I save 10 backups, I just said 5 since that is the normal setup for Windows 98 and I didn't want to confuse anyone. I figured if I just do a Scanreg 10 times that one bad registry backup would just be replaced with a new backup dated today .... I have 9 backups dated today and that bad backup dated 30 March 2009 is still there. I am using a program called WinRescue 98 and it shows me the backups that are available. So where can I go to right click and delete that one backup out of my system? Thanks ...

The files are in windows\sysbckup\. They're normally named rb000.cab through rb004.cab. Scanreg.ini also shows the path to the backups, which can be edited as well.

Rick

Edited by herbalist

Rick ... thanks for that info. I was never in that folder ... "sysbckup". All the numbered backups (rb001) were there and one that was labeled "rbbad". It's gone now but I am curious how that one backup ended up in there labeled that way. Again thanks for the solution ... this forum rocks.

Thanks again for the extra info ... the whole thing is clear now and why it just wouldn't go away.

from the link .....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

rbbad.cab will just sit there forever in addition to the other 5 unless you either use scanreg, or Windows decides to replace it for some other reason (such as a bad boot). The latter doesn't usually happen very often unless you have bad RAM or some other problem.

In the course of time there is no really good reason to keep rbbad.cab cluttering up the place but it does no harm.

Bottom line: ignore it or delete it - ain't no big thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------