what is the procedure to recover shift+delete files in windows xp

jilan.shaik

You will need to perform an UnDelete (aka UnErase) on the files. Those historical terms apply to Win9x and earlier which was kind enough to supply DOS command line utilities for this task. However, on the NT/2K/XP side they have been missing since at least 2k (someone correct me!).

There are GUI based utilities (a few are free) for use on XP and such. I use one that is not free but it has a trial period of 25 uses: Briggs Directory Snoop. I like it a lot. Other retailers that come to mind are Runtime Software, Symantec Norton Utilities, etc. I believe there are free tools at SourceForge.

Another possibility is to burn or borrow a self-contained bootable UBCD or Knoppix style utility disc and startup with that. You will need to know where those files were physically (where in the directory structure).

Important Note: It would be unwise to install some gigantic suite of programs (_cough_ Norton!) which steps all over this hard drive containing your deleted files, this will increase the risk that an undelete operation will fail. The Briggs software I mentioned is very tiny. Likewise, don't download a huge ISO image to burn to CD onto the computer that you need to unerase data!

If you happen to own some Norton Utilities discs you may be able to copy or extract only the command line undelete.exe from the CD and try that. Some versions came with a separate bootable Recovery Disc.

• 2 months later...

I tried several unerase tools when I wanted to recover some important files. And the best experience I had with Advanced File Recovery. It restores photos, videos, documents, and other important files deleted by mistake or intentionally. It scans selected folders or the entire hard drive and shows all deleted files that can be recovered. You can also preview files directly in the program without actually recovering them. I like that different media types are supported such as memory sticks, hard drives, memory cards from digital cameras, floppies, external drives etc.