Install Server 2008 R2 with WinPE x86

NYTAIceman

Hi Community,

Since the newest WinPE Version from Windows 7 WAIK, it seems to be possible that the required setup.exe to start a installation for a install.wim resides in the winpe image self.

In the unattend helpfiles from microsoft, the methodes are described but I don't understand them... :blink:

I have allready created a PE Image with the followed packages:

- WinPE-Setup

- WinPE-Setup-Client

- WinPE-Setup-Server

But if I start the setup.exe who is existing in the created winpe image, the following error poped up:

"Could not determine the setup language"

So I integrated a lang.ini from a DVD in to the sources folder from the winpe image.

So, if I start the setup.exe again on the winpe image, there is a error, that the WdsClient cannot connect to his WDS Server... But I don't need a WDS Server, I want to connect to a network share, start the setup.exe from winpe image, set the unattend.xml and install windows...

1. Has anybody a idea for what the "WinPE-Setup" packages are made?

2. Has anybody install a windows server 2008 R2 from a x86 winpe image?

Thanks a lot,

Bernard

I wont know about the Win7 PE until it hits RTM. I have the Beta installed but no time to use it yet.

2008 R2 isn't RTM yet.

I'm not entirely sure, but you may be using the packages wrong. You may be adding WDS packages to a straight PE maybe... I haven't tried using those packages yet, but to do an unattended install from WDS you need two answer files.

I have/had a project on this here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=130994

But until 2008 R2 is RTM i can't proceed further because I require DataImage to work.