Components needed for networking (Win 7 or Vista + Static XP)

kukulin

(Please note, I was unable to search any topic about networking like this, so I'll start this one.)

Hello,

I'm new here, but I know something about nLite and vLite family programs. I've successfully completed nLite Win XP Home (which occupies 400 MB on HDD) and next to it is testing run of vLited Windows.

So, what I want? I bought Acer TravelMate class laptop, which has RJ-45 (LAN) connector and this is for my desktop too (integrated in MB). Also I have modem/router with four LAN connectors. And this is reason why I'm going to build small home network with one static computer and my laptop.

But after this nLiting and vLiting there is only a pair of components needed for networking. So, I want to ask You for a help, please.

First, what components are needed for networking in Win 7 or Vista? Win 7 and Vista are in 80 percent on same core, so I can say it's one system. I also know that NETWORK EXPLORER will take care about browsing entire network, but what about NET.EXE? There must be something that can make "first way" to other computer. Windows 7/Vista system will be on laptop which also has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth too. And this is reason for keeping Infra-red and Wi-Fi support.

Second, what to do with XP Home? I know it will be easier to use Win 7 or Vista on "Static", but this computer is really old (1.8 GHy CPU, 1 Gig of RAM, 18+7,5 GB of HDD and other user of this PC doesn't like any changes with OSes), it will be better to use Win XP here. At least.

Also, NET.EXE will do first job, what next? Maybe there is a solution. If I keep NET, maybe I can use it for obtaining laptop's IP address and shortcut icon on static computer's desktop will do the rest.

Second problem I want to ask You for help is networking from laptop. I've mentioned that laptop has Wi-Fi and Bluetoth, are there extra components besides NAP/EAP?

And for last, my laptop will not be connected directly to router across LAN, it will be connected directly to other computer with internet access. Lets presume that the computer with internet access will not be nLited (Here is Win XP Home, too.)

Thanks a lot, any help is appreciated...

Edited by kukulin