Windows Search Removed. Can it be added back after install?

stroths

I have my vlited copy of Windows 7 RC1 x64 just about the way I want it, but realized a key start menu feature is missing. You can no longer type a few letters and it searches the start menu to find the program that matches. I found out this is linked to Windows Search which I removed in my vlite setup. Is it possible to add this back after an install?

I tried to manually install Windows Search 4 (downloaded from MS), but it states it not applicable to my build. Any ideas?

ive had a similar problem where if i removed it, search doesnt work! if removed with vlite then you cant add it back! it could just be a x64 issue as search still works on x86 if removed?

Edited by dead0

if you are using x64 b7229, do not remove windows search with vlite! from what i could work out, it does not include desktop search 4 so no need to select for removal? :unsure:

With RC1, you can reinstall as an upgrade, so I went that route. This fixed the start search issue, but also changed some of my settings which I will fix. Thanks for the help and anyone who finds a solution please feel free to post here for others.