NVIDIA Forceware 185.85 WHQL XP 64 does not install

meowing

I've been creating XP x64 Edition images ever since this was possible. I always add the latest nVidia drivers, and since they started creating the forceware packs this had become easy: Just grab the one .exe from here, unpack the exe, and let nLite find it as a Multiple driver folder and add it to the image that way.

Always worked like a charm, until this latest version (185.85) when I noticed nVidia had cut down the amount of files in the setup folder by half (almost) and I have no idea how they managed to do so but they did. Ever since this has been done,

the unattended installer gives a "Found new hardware" dialog during the stage where nLite.cmd is loaded, i.e. at the point where nLite's "Unattended settings" RunOnce commands are executed.

After ignoring this dialog during setup (treating it as if it was still unattendable), it turns out not to have installed any nVidia driver at all when XP64 install has finished. All the other drivers did install as per usual.

Anyone any idea how to solve this? Did something change within nvidia's setup.iss file that I do not know about?

Edited by meowing

meowing, I'll take a look at the nVidia drivers, but how are you extracting the drivers? What is the size of the file you DL and the size after you extract? I have found some files (especially .exe) do like to be extracted by 7-Zip. VMware Server DLs about 375 MB and extracts into about 30-40 MB. Obviously something bad happened. Perhaps nVidia intends for their users not to be able to extract their files now. Have you tried to run the file in a command prompt with a switch of /? or /help or /x=path to see if you can find a way to get the built in extractor to do the extraction for you? Another trick is running the .exe and Cancel it at the first opportunity, but while it is waiting for your reply, find the extracted files. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I extracted the 185.85 file with 7-Zip and by running the .exe on my VM and it looks like I got the same files, so I don't think it is an extraction problem. I also DLed and extracted 182.50. I agree there are about twice as many files in the old one, but the byte count is about the same. Both have only one .inf file with the same name, nv4_disp.inf. Please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini and also the MD5 and Size (not Size on Disk) for your 185.85 DL.

Edited by johnhc

I rename the .exe to .zip with TotalCommander and then unpack the content to a folder. No modifications or anything special.

Just tested it;

The 182.50 version works just fine, it's really wrong since 185.85. Nothing else is different in my nLite preset. Don't know what nVidia has done, but nLite doesn't like it! At least not on the GT 9600 hardware I test it on.

Edited by meowing

meowing, I assume you get no errors when running nLite? If you look into the NLDRV folder after install, do you see the 185.85 drivers? Did you see my EDIT on my first reply? Right now, it looks like time to open an nVidia problem report. You might also seek out an nVidia forum and see if anyone else is having the same problems. Good luck, John.

EDIT: Can you install the 185.85 drivers after Windows is installed and do they work OK?

EDIT again: Attached is a screen shot of the NLDRV folder with the 185.85 drivers after I ran nLite with these drivers. It is about 175 MB.

Edited by johnhc

I ran into the exact same problem on my unattended xp pro sp3 x86, it obviously comes from the new installer, they add another exe file that installs the control panel separately i think.

Here is a thread where this problem is discussed. Unfortunately it's a bit complicate for me especially since i want to install international version.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=133803&hl

I would be very gald to learn an easy way to integrate those drivers, or to get back to 182.50 ;)

Sorry, but I'll stick with 182.50 until this is solved by the source (i.e. nVidia). Editing (third party) .inf files is way too risky these days i.m.o. Think about the possible causes of that when new hardware gets installed etc. It'll be a mess.

The last working integratable nVidia GT drivers are here: http://filehippo.com/download_nvidia_forceware_xp_64/5452/

Edited by meowing

• 1 month later...
Sorry, but I'll stick with 182.50 until this is solved by the source (i.e. nVidia). Editing (third party) .inf files is way too risky these days i.m.o. Think about the possible causes of that when new hardware gets installed etc. It'll be a mess.

The last working integratable nVidia GT drivers are here: http://filehippo.com/download_nvidia_forceware_xp_64/5452/

I guess i'll stick to them too, since my graphic card is getting old, it's not worth anymore, but for the sake of completion, i hope nlite will find a way.