Automate Installation of Updates

Please forgive me if this is posted somewhere, but I didn't see it...

I am frequently doing system restores of computers for people where I use the XP/Vista discs they got with their machine to bring it back to out-of-the-box condition. This, as you all know, requires that you then run the Windows Update to get everything current. Problem is that where I work, our Internet connections is, well, slow as molasses going uphill in the winter in Alaska. So when I found the Windows Update Downloader I thought "Awesome! Total solution!" and it is, sort of.

It solved the bandwidth problem as I can download all the updates at home and put them on a flash drive. That's the easy part. And installing the Service Packs isn't a big deal either. What becomes an issue is installing all the updates since the SP was released. This can be quite time consuming because you have to sit there and launch each one, accept the agreement, and do 2-3 more mouse clicks. Then it installs in 3 seconds and you do it again.

So what I was wondering is if anyone knows of a way to automate that process, to simply install all the updates, preferably without having to interact with them.

Thanks!

PS: Thank you for writing this application and keeping the lists up-to-date. Even if I have to install all the updates one at a time, it is still a TREMENDOUS time saver.

• 2 months later...