Anyone ever seen this happen before?

Viper187

I recorded a 13 second video of this. http://viper.shadowflareindustries.com/temp/bah.avi

Basically, It shows me clicking between two apps in the taskbar, but other random apps keep coming to the foreground in the process. I've had this happen to me on multiple versions of XP with different hardware, etc. It always seemed to start when I had a lot running, but nothing specific. The video is XP 64-bit SP2 running on a 2.8ghz Phenom X3 (720?), with 8 gig of DDR3, GeForce 285 FTW Edition, etc.

No, can't say as I have. The z-order is a shell construct, it generally keeps track of the stack order, although there are APIs that any Win32 app can call to move itself up, down, bottom, top, take focus, etc, so it's hard to say. Is there anything specific that is always running on your machine across your differing hardware? This likely won't be a driver issue (it's possible, just not probable), but an app issue instead.

Is there anything specific that is always running on your machine across your differing hardware? This likely won't be a driver issue (it's possible, just not probable), but an app issue instead.

I've pretty much ruled out all my software, since I know people that use the same exact stuff without incident. The only app that crosses my mind is mIRC, but there are plenty of people using that too. I don't use anything real obscure.

Well, that leaves either your specific combo of apps, or a driver issue - I run an average of 10 - 12 apps at a time, have for years, never with that happening. I've seen it on other machines, and it's always come down to some application munging the z-order on losing focus, or a driver issue causing the list to reorder, etc.

• 1 month later...

I'm beginning to wonder if Logitech Setpoint could be doing it. You'd think mouse drivers from Logitech wouldn't be prone to such a lame issue, but who knows. I know another guy that used to have the issue, and he thinks he has Setpoint installed. I was able to duplicate the problem on a near fresh install of XP 64-bit; just drivers, virtual drive, AnyDVD, probably Firefox, and old versions of mIRC and Textpad. I'm also curious as to why no balloon tips appear on mouseover of the taskbar, system tray, etc anymore. I kind of liked when I could mouseover the clock to see the date. I that some side effect of using the classic theme or part of my weird bug?

Edited by Viper187

If you click the taskbar, the tooltips should re-appear. It's a bug in Windows. There is 3rd party app that fixes it but it has to run all the time.

If you click the taskbar, the tooltips should re-appear. It's a bug in Windows. There is 3rd party app that fixes it but it has to run all the time.

Well, that sort of works. The tooltips appear but they're almost completely covered by the bar itself for no apparent reason. They do that in the quick launch, taskbar, and sys tray, but mouseover on the clock still doesn't show the date.

Edited by Viper187

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be damned. It IS Logitech Setpoint doing it. How the hell could a commercial software driver cause this problem for years without it being fixed? Better question. How am I going to reprogram the buttons on my G5 laser mouse without it?

I'll be damned. It IS Logitech Setpoint doing it. How the hell could a commercial software driver cause this problem for years without it being fixed? Better question. How am I going to reprogram the buttons on my G5 laser mouse without it?

I am sure there are third party programs that can change those buttons for you. You can also check for other versions of their software, or perhaps you will still get to program the extra buttons with just the driver installed.

But really, is it so annoying that you choose to just get rid of the software? You might be able to get used to the behaviour (if there is no easy fix) unless it is causing performance issues.