Shut down always in start menu

LordFett

I am trying to change the shut down option in the start menu to log off to avoid accidental shutdowns. I have gone to "Taskbar and Start Menu Properties" both from right clicking the Taskbar and through the control panel. Both as admin and as limited. I have on each changed "Power Button Action" in the Start Menu tab to "Log Off." Sometimes it will be correct right after changing it, but after a while (during the same boot) it reverts back to shut down.

I also went into Local Group Policy Editor and changed it there for all users to be log off and unchangeable. It didn't change anything.

Does anyone have an idea on how to keep this as log off?

windows7powerbutton.jpg

Edited by LordFett

I think I scared it into submission. It appears to be working now. Not sure what I did differently this time other then it isn't an instant change. I waited about an hour before I rebooted and it was fine before the last boot.

You had outstanding updates - see the warning symbol on the Shut Down button?

If Windows Update detects there are applicable updates for your system, the default action there is to "install and shut down" (I think the tooltip even says this if you hover over it).

(If you run a check for updates and install them, the button returns to its normal setting.)

Also, if you have installed an update that requires a restart you get a similar thing I think.