BSOD On Vista Startup

Drazick

Hello.

I've just installed Vista SP2.

Rebooted and everything went fine.

I also updated my mainboard BIOS (Intel G35EC) to its latest version.

On the next reboot I got BSOD and the system restarted.

I tried "Safe Mode". It loads the files then gets to the file: crcdisk.sys hangs for few seconds and restart.

I tried to change the settings for the SATA controller for IDE emulation yet with no success.

What could it be? How may fix it?

Thanks.

I can't get into Windows.

Not even in the Safe Mode.

As I described, I get the BSOD during Start Up. When I tried Safe Mode it restarts when it loads crcdisk.sys.

Thanks.

I tried the Recovery Disc.

It ran all of it diagnostic processes.

The report it gave was All Ok but the last test:

Root Cause Found

Repair Action - System Fils Integrity Check And Repair

Result - Failed

Error Code: 0x2

Time Taken: 312140 ms.

How can I repair this manually? What's the meanning of the Error code?

Thanks.

You need to post what it says in the BSOD. If the computer is rebooting before you can see it, boot up with F8 and disable automatic restart on system failure and attempt to boot into Windows again.

I do not know what this recovery disc is that you used.

7B == Inaccessible boot device. Sounds like, perhaps, the BIOS update reset your SATA controller configuration? I know mine always sets my SATA back to IDE after a refresh, when I installed it set to AHCI. You might want to check that for starters.

7B == Inaccessible boot device. Sounds like, perhaps, the BIOS update reset your SATA controller configuration? I know mine always sets my SATA back to IDE after a refresh, when I installed it set to AHCI. You might want to check that for starters.

It's Intel G35EC Mainboard.

It happened just after I updated the BIOS.

I tried any possible value in the SATA options.

The system was installed in AHCI mode.

Can I make vista work this out without the need to reinstall it. Maybe editing drivers, files etc?

Thanks.

Probably not, honestly. You will likely have to do a repair installation (in-place upgrade) as described here.

How come it happened?

What caused it?

I have Vista Disc, all I want it to keep all the data in the private folders and the desktop.

Can't I make it reinstall the stuff regarding the AHCI drivers?

I don't see why Intel would make it work that way.

Well, why did you update your BIOS? You could have changed a whole host of things without realizing it, and Windows has always been quite picky about the disk subsystem it's installed on. If your BIOS upgrade changed anything about the disk subsystem and the way it's presented to the OS, it could have caused it. Without knowing more about the microcode changes (which you aren't going to find publicly) it's hard to say, but it is easy to say that there were changes here in the upgrade, enough to cause Windows to no longer be able to find itself on any bootable disk once the kernel was loaded.

Well, why did you update your BIOS? You could have changed a whole host of things without realizing it, and Windows has always been quite picky about the disk subsystem it's installed on. If your BIOS upgrade changed anything about the disk subsystem and the way it's presented to the OS, it could have caused it. Without knowing more about the microcode changes (which you aren't going to find publicly) it's hard to say, but it is easy to say that there were changes here in the upgrade, enough to cause Windows to no longer be able to find itself on any bootable disk once the kernel was loaded.

I see...

But reinstalling will solve it right?

Cause I get the Installation CD up and running.

What's strange about it is that I'm the only one with that kind of problem as it's seems.

Where did you download your BIOS update from? If you install the wrong update, all sorts of weird things will happen. Check to see if your mobo is anything like Rev A01 (revision) and make sure you download BIOS update accordingly

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...mit=Go!#BIO

This is what I've downloaded.

It's the right one.

Just don't get it.

If it's something in the BIOS version how come I'm the first to encounter this.

Unplug your computer and pop the case open. Take out the batter (about the size of a nickle) and leave it out for a few minutes. Put it back together and see what happens. Sometimes you have to reset CMOS after a BIOS update to avoid problems. If you know what jumpers on the board to use to reset it, do that instead of the battery......

After you do that, make sure you set all the BIOS settings back to how they should be.

Why did you update in the first place?