MS-Excel 2007 takes too long to open a file

morland

I'm using XP pro and Excel-2007. Recently switched to Office 2007 (from Office 2003) and have the following problem when opening any Excel file:

When I try to open an Excel file, MS-Excel starts right away but it takes while (MUCH LONGER as compared with Excel-2003) before the file opens/gets displayed. BTW, I do not have any add-ins enabled.

Can anyone please help me solve this problem?

You could run process monitor from sysinternals to see what the system is doing during this time. Another question is, if you boot into safe mode and open the document, do you get the same delay?

Problem Solved (I think)

I downloaded to install SP2 for Office2007 but decided to search one last time before installing the SP2.

Luckily I came across a solution (shared below for benefit of all members) and the solution basically boiled down to deleting PERSONAL.XLS. Please see details below:

Background: The new XLSTART folder for Office 2007 is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\XLSTART But, if you upgraded from a previous version, there may still be a personal macro workbook called “PERSONAL.XLS” located in the old location: C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Fix: To correct the delayed file opening problem, just delete the old PERSONAL.XLS file