Upgraded my windows 98se computer to windows xp...

Chaldean

So I have two computers, one is windows XP and the other is windows98se. I pulled the 98se outta my basement because I can use another computer.. I used my windows XP cd that came with my computer and upgraded the win98 computer to XP (deleted the partition, created a new one). Everything works fine, but when I do a windows update it gives me a "Windows activation required" page where I either download a so-called "validation advisor beta", or purchases a "genuine advantage kit" for $99.00

So here's my question, I've reformatted many computers before with my windows XP cd (though they all had XP existing on them), and never once have I been prompted to enter a CD key or validate my copy of windows for that matter. So is it doing this because I went from a 98se OS to a windows XP OS? If this computer had windows XP on it previously and I did the same thing would I run into this problem? And finally, If I validate my copy what will happen? Like I said I've never had this issue in the past, so I'm just trying to understand it.

Thanks.

Edited by Chaldean

The key you use might be not quite one you own or that can be used (again ?) for a (that?) computer. It's all a question of license. You know MS XP is not free to be installed on any PC you want, do you ? Either the computer was sold with a license for XP or you own (bought) a disc with a license number (key) that allows you to install XP on ONE computer. You were happily mixing both concepts until now (legally ?) with your one CD but MS brings you back to market reality.

More info about what type of computer, what exact cd and what key you are using might bring more precise replies but I guess the discussion could as well be stoped quite abruptly.

"never once have I been prompted to enter a CD key or validate my copy of windows for that matter".

NEVER? Windows XP uses software-based product activation technology. Therefore, you must activate your copy of Windows XP after 30 days to use it.

"I've reformatted many computers before with my windows XP cd (though they all had XP existing on them)".

Did you ONLY format their drive or did you also install XP from your disk and who's CD key was used? Any computer that you've installed

from your disk can be activated at any time.

If this is the case, your CD key is now 'locked' to that machine and Windows Update would advise you to upgrade or purchase the

validation kit because it believes YOUR new installation of XP is fraudulent.

User Ponch is correct when it sounds like you've installed from the same CD too many times on too many machines.

Also check this link for the diagnostic site. Good luck.

Edited by phatphunky

Hmm yes you need to have your windows activated before you download updates. Is there some kind of notification in the taskbar telling you to activate your windows within a X number of days? If so click the icon and activate it either by telephone or via internet.

Now if I'm correct you have never been prompted before to enter ANY key during the installation process nor activate your copy of windows?

Well maybe it's some kind of installation cd which automatically installs it with the product key and activates.

Anyways it seems like the other users are right, you have installed too many times(you can still install how many times you want, but you will not be able to activate XP more than 10 times or so) and activated the product key. Now you'll either have to buy a new key, or just skip the activation which there are many guides on how to do it manually on the internet ;) (I'm afraid I can't give you a link :( Probably some forum rules preventing me from doing so, but check your PM ;) )

If you do so then you will be able to download updates as it is activated and your key is still valid after the maximum number of activations.

So good luck!

Hmm yes you need to have your windows activated before you download updates. Is there some kind of notification in the taskbar telling you to activate your windows within a X number of days? If so click the icon and activate it either by telephone or via internet.

Now if I'm correct you have never been prompted before to enter ANY key during the installation process nor activate your copy of windows?

Well maybe it's some kind of installation cd which automatically installs it with the product key and activates.

Anyways it seems like the other users are right, you have installed too many times(you can still install how many times you want, but you will not be able to activate XP more than 10 times or so) and activated the product key. Now you'll either have to buy a new key, or just skip the activation which there are many guides on how to do it manually on the internet ;) (I'm afraid I can't give you a link :( Probably some forum rules preventing me from doing so, but check your PM ;) )

If you do so then you will be able to download updates as it is activated and your key is still valid after the maximum number of activations.

So good luck!

Thank you so much, you are a LIFESAVER

Another thought comes to mind. Royalty OEM BIOS preactivation.

If you've been using the same brand of computers with the same disc (or if you made your own with a different project on this site), it detected your BIOS and preactivated.

Since your computer is older, it's quite possible that the "thing" that XP is looking for in the BIOS isn't there and thus is requiring activation.