is it possible to mount a .vhd has a hard disk in XP

helpdesk98

I manage a small network at a small business and we use one XP Pro with 160gig of memory and I was wondering if it would be possible to mount a .vhd has a hard drive and use it has a network drive. I believe if I can mount the drive when the users of the Peer-to-peer network it will make it easer for me to back up one file containing all there files. I have found software for mounting .ISO but nothing for .VHD

thanks helpdesk98

I'm sure there are others (and maybe even a better app), you can start by looking at:

WinMount (purchase)

Gizmo Drive (freeware, I believe)

They may do what you want.

Also, you might be better off looking into Virtual Server along with running a Server OS.

Mike

Edited by gUiTaR_mIkE

Yep gizmo works I have to buy an actual server sometime soon the PC I am using has a "server" is getting old, but at this time there is no $$$ in the budget this will help me keep backups per person :thumbup and it has some basic encryption features so that always good

I don't have enoth power on the machine to run virtual server so I am going to stick with Gizmo it supports .VHD and a few other formats I did however find a small issue if you network the drive the next time the PC restart the virtual drives are no longer shared, but I created a batch file that automaticly re-shares the virtual drives . this will make backups much easer it allows me to limit the size of each drive and then burn them to dvd ectra . This is going to make backups much easer and more organized.

I don't have enoth power on the machine to run virtual server so I am going to stick with Gizmo it supports .VHD and a few other formats I did however find a small issue if you network the drive the next time the PC restart the virtual drives are no longer shared, but I created a batch file that automaticly re-shares the virtual drives . this will make backups much easer it allows me to limit the size of each drive and then burn them to dvd ectra . This is going to make backups much easer and more organized.

Hey, that link was supposed to go to VHD Mount. Not Virtual Server. Not sure what happened with link but try searching for VHD Mount at MS site.

I haven't tried it but it's a small program that adds VHD mount capability + context menus, etc.

its alright Gizmo works and with the batch file it re-shares the drives on PC startup :-)

in windows 7 all you have to do is go: Start>Run>diskmgmt.msc

Edited by helpdesk98