xp sp3 product key‏

MrSinatra

I see. Lets think here then. We know from the past that manualy slipstreaming in Vista will not work. We also know that supposedly nLite has a fix added to it to overcome this (Changelog, like 2 versions ago)

it is true that i didn't use nlite to "integrate" sp2 and sp3 on the penn state cd attempt, (i used cmd line). i did use nlite for the rest of it. and i did all of it on a vista64 machine.

We also know that OEM cd's are VERY strange. When nLited they ussually do not work. Especially DELLS oem CD's.

this dell xp pro sp2 cd was from dell, green, had dell logos all over it, etc, but seems to me to be a FULL copy of xp. it doesn't seem to ask for any codes when installed to dell mobo's it recognizes (or so i deduce), but when i have used it to install on other computers, like say an asus board, at some point i had to do the very long code and call microsoft to get it, and say that it wasn't installed anywhere else, (which was true actually).

the fact is, i was able to use nlite on a vista machine to slip sp3 to it and get it to then install on another vista machine.

So I kindly ask:

Will you try the Penn CD with JUST sp3 and only sp3 done by nLite in vmware? It will take less that 15-20 minutes to do the test far enough to get to the key stage.

i'll do you one better... i will use nlite on vista64 to create TWO iso's... one will be slipped with sp2, the other with sp3, and both will use the penn state cd and the intel drivers. we will then see if i have the same issue with both service packs, or not.

does that sound like a good plan to you? this time, i will try to install XP to the machine that doesn't have XP yet. (i don't want to damage my current xp install, its already configured, etc...)

Edited by MrSinatra

MrSinatra, here is KB950722 that speaks to slipstreaming SP3 under Vista for an XP build. Please post the size (not size on disk), name and the MD5 for your copy of SP3. Enjoy, John.

here is the size:

316 MB (331,805,736 bytes)

thats the size, NOT the "size on disk." i got that from MS some time ago.

filename:

WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

i don't know how to do the MD5 thing.

using nlite on a dell vista64 computer, i was able to slip that into the dell oem cd (xp pro sp2) and then get it to install on the other dell vista64 computer i have.

MrSinatra, that is the correct size for SP3, and I suspect the MD5 is OK. There are many hash checkers available for free. I use HashTab - creates a new tab on the Properties screen. The MD5 should be BB25707C919DD835A9D9706B5725AF58, if you have a chance to check it out. We really need to see some Last Session files to try to determine what is going on with your various builds. In some cases of users doing things that are not recommended, they have at least temporary success. Often some time later, they return to report that functions are missing or not working correctly. I call these bizarre symptoms and they seem to accompany things like running nLite under the wrong OS, or multiple times against the same source. Enjoy, John.

here is the session for when i made the psu cd (the first one which failed, meaning it no longer liked my product key):

[Main]

Env = 1.4.9.1 - 2.0.50727.3074.Microsoft Windows NT 6.0.6001 Service Pack 1

Target = Windows XP Professional SP3 - 5.1.2600.5512 - English (United States)

[Tasks]

Integrate Drivers

Create a Bootable ISO

[Components]

;# Compatibility #

[KeepFiles]

msconfig.exe

[RemoveFiles]

clock.avi

yahoo.bmp

swtchbrd.bmp

[Options]

ProfilesDir = "%SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings"

TargetPath = "WINDOWS"

temp_dir = %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

[Patches]

[services2]

[Tweaks]

[unattended]

ComputerType = Automatic

MaximumDataStorePercentOfDisk = 12

RestorePointLife = 30

DesktopTheme = Default||

AutoUDay = 5

AutoUHour = 15

ProgFilesPath = "\Program Files"

[NetAdapter1]

connname = ""

macaddress = ""

ipaddress = "192.168.0.1"

subnetmask = "255.255.255.0"

defaultgateway = ""

dnsserver1 = ""

dnsserver2 = ""

winsserver = ""

netbiossetting = "0"

ipxnetworknumber = "00000000"

ipxnetworkframetype = "0xFF"

[GuiRunOnce]

[Drivers]

D:\XPraidcontroller\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ESB2

D:\XPraidcontroller\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ESB2

D:\XPraidcontroller\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH10DDO

D:\XPraidcontroller\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH10R

D:\XPraidcontroller\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH7MMDH

D:\XPraidcontroller\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ICH7MDH

D:\XPraidcontroller\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH7RDH

D:\XPraidcontroller\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ICH7RDH

D:\XPraidcontroller\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ICH8MEICH9ME

D:\XPraidcontroller\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH8MEM

D:\XPraidcontroller\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH8RDHDO

D:\XPraidcontroller\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ICH8RICH9RICH10RDO

D:\XPraidcontroller\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH9MEM

D:\XPraidcontroller\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH9RDODH

[Hotfixes]

remember, i had already slipped sp2 and sp3 by the time i went to use nlite, so the MS article u posted would explain why this failed, since i had performed the slips and used nlite on a vista machine.

Edited by MrSinatra

these next two sessions are from the other vista64 computer. they were a minute apart. i don't know enough about nlite to understand why they are separate, but the first one seems to be for the sp, the second one for the drivers.

the first, earlier session:

[Main]

Target = Windows XP Professional SP2 - 5.1.2600.2180 - English (United States)

[Tasks]

Service Pack Integration

Integrate Drivers

Create a Bootable ISO

[Components]

;# Compatibility #

[KeepFiles]

msconfig.exe

[RemoveFiles]

clock.avi

yahoo.bmp

swtchbrd.bmp

[Options]

TargetPath = "WINDOWS"

[Patches]

[services2]

[Tweaks]

[unattended]

ComputerType = Automatic

RestorePointLife = 30

DesktopTheme = Default||

AutoUDay = 5

AutoUHour = 15

[NetAdapter1]

connname = ""

macaddress = ""

defaultgateway = ""

dnsserver1 = ""

dnsserver2 = ""

winsserver = ""

netbiossetting = "0"

[GuiRunOnce]

[Drivers]

[Hotfixes]

the next session, (last session) one minute later seems to be about the drivers:

[Main]

Target = Windows XP Professional SP3 - 5.1.2600.5512 - English (United States)

[Tasks]

Service Pack Integration

Integrate Drivers

Create a Bootable ISO

[Components]

;# Compatibility #

[KeepFiles]

msconfig.exe

[RemoveFiles]

clock.avi

yahoo.bmp

swtchbrd.bmp

[Options]

TargetPath = "WINDOWS"

[Patches]

[services2]

[Tweaks]

[unattended]

ComputerType = Automatic

RestorePointLife = 30

DesktopTheme = Default||

AutoUDay = 5

AutoUHour = 15

[NetAdapter1]

connname = ""

macaddress = ""

defaultgateway = ""

dnsserver1 = ""

dnsserver2 = ""

winsserver = ""

netbiossetting = "0"

[NetAdapter2]

connname = ""

macaddress = ""

ipaddress = "192.168.0.2"

defaultgateway = ""

dnsserver1 = ""

dnsserver2 = ""

winsserver = ""

netbiossetting = "0"

[GuiRunOnce]

[Drivers]

D:\mdw\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ESB2

D:\mdw\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ESB2

D:\mdw\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH10DDO

D:\mdw\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH10R

D:\mdw\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH7MMDH

D:\mdw\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ICH7MDH

D:\mdw\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH7RDH

D:\mdw\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ICH7RDH

D:\mdw\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ICH8MEICH9ME

D:\mdw\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH8MEM

D:\mdw\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH8RDHDO

D:\mdw\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaStor_ICH8RICH9RICH10RDO

D:\mdw\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH9MEM

D:\mdw\f6flpy3288\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_ICH9RDODH

[Hotfixes]

i don't know why there are two only a minute apart, i don't recall starting/stopping/restarting, but i am pretty sure those last two together are what allowed me to make the dell oem sp2 cd into the sp3 iso with the drivers.

like i said, it works. the install seems totally stable to me.

Edited by MrSinatra

MrSinatra, please, please do us all a favor and edit your last two posts and remove your pasted Last Session files. Then, attach (not paste) them as originally requested. To attach them, see the 'Browse...' and 'UPLOAD' buttons in the lower right corner of the Reply screen. Thanks much, John.

EDIT: After all my begging for your Last Session, I see nothing that really concerns except for running under Vista and running multiple times against the same source. Your comment about the one minute interval concerns me because one has SP2 and the other SP3. The bottom line here, as in many things, is, if you are happy with the results, you're good to go. I would not be comfortable with what you have done, but you can use these tools as it suits you. Enjoy, John.

Edited by johnhc

i think it calls them separate sessions even if you do it all at once, simply b/c you do a SP and drivers together.

in other words, intuitively, i would assume that if i started nlite, slipped the SP and the drivers, and made the iso, all at once, that would be called ONE session, right?

however, this does NOT seem to be the case. even when you do it as i describe above it seems to call it TWO sessions. i guess thats just the way it works, (maybe only under vista?)

in any case...

TEST RESULTS:

i made BOTH a sp2 and a sp3 version of my PSU gold cd with nlite on a vista64 machine.

BOTH accepted the product key!

so it seems nlite does not have a bug, as you said all along.

and it seems that you CAN slip sp3 to the dell oem sp2 cd on vista(64) AS LONG AS you use nlite to do it.

kudos to nlite, one helluva'n app.

(i'll edit the thread title now)

ps. the dell oem xp pro sp2 cd came from a very highend and expensive at the time XPS machine, so that probably explains why it was full version and worked.

Edited by MrSinatra

in other words, intuitively, i would assume that if i started nlite, slipped the SP and the drivers, and made the iso, all at once, that would be called ONE session, right?
I think this is correct. If you mean by 'it seems to call it TWO sessions', that nLite creates two Last Session files, I don't think so.

However, if you are happy, I am happy. Have fun, John.

• 5 weeks later...
I think this is correct. If you mean by 'it seems to call it TWO sessions', that nLite creates two Last Session files, I don't think so.

However, if you are happy, I am happy. Have fun, John.

not to belabor the point, but as i recall what it did was create two separate files, even though i did it all in one fell swoop as described above.

one was called "Last Session" and the other was a minute younger, with a datestamp type filename.

i find that odd. both slipping the SP and inserting the drivers all at once should, imo, by design only create ONE session file. but this is a very minor nitpik.

nlite is a great, great utility!

(and just to reiterate for others, i do NOT believe all dell oem xp cds are created equal! i believe i was lucky to have the specific XPS one i have, which is from when dell XPS still meant something)

Edited by MrSinatra