Possible to change XP Shutdown button on Start Menu?

cbuckbee

Is there any way to add commands to the shutdown process when using the Shutdown button on the Start Menu?

I have this horribly coded piece of software from Kodak that stops the shutdown and logoff process if it's running in the background. When you press the Shutdown or Logoff buttons in the start menu, the process begins and Windows starts closing processes but when it gets to this one process it just stops and goes back to the desktop. If you manually kill the process then the PC can shutdown normally.

I have created a batch file to kill the process and then use the shutdown.exe command to logoff or shutdown but I hate to ask my users to use a shortcut on the desktop to logoff or shutdown. I would rather be able to add a taskkill command in the shutdown/logoff process to enable them to work seemlessly.

Any ideas? I haven't been able to find anything in the registry so I think the buttons on the start menu are hard coded in a DLL. If that's the case then I'm out of luck, but I thought I would try here first.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I had the same problem. I did some changes to the registry so that the hung applications' processes are terminated automatically. You can use the method if you wish so.

You need to find the following in the registry and set the values accordingly:

HungAppTimeout = 500

WaitToKillAppTimeout = 1000

AutoEndTasks = 1

Please note that these appear under two or three main keys so you will have to change them at several places. Use the Find option to change each instance of the above. In other words, you will have search the registry more than once to make changes to each of the above.

Do let me know if it works for you.

--

Regards,

DreamSkape

Signed: Saturday, May 09, 2009, 12:59:22 AM IST

• 4 months later...
I have created a batch file to kill the process and then use the shutdown.exe command to logoff or shutdown but I hate to ask my users to use a shortcut on the desktop to logoff or shutdown. I would rather be able to add a taskkill command in the shutdown/logoff process to enable them to work seemlessly.

Any ideas?

How about pin your batch file to the start menu or on the Quick Launch?