nLite unattend settings not working

MrRaines

For some reason, I can no longer get nLite to successfully integrate a VLK key into the unattended settings when I make a new build which includes SP3.

On using the resulting build to install XP Pro, I am always prompted for a key.

Has anyone else had this, or knows what the problem might be? I downloaded a couple of previous versions of nLite but the result was the same.

Edited by MrRaines

did u enter the correct key where u were supposed to

For some reason, I can no longer get nLite to successfully integrate a VLK key into the unattended settings when I make a new build which includes SP3.

Has anyone else had this, or knows what the problem might be? I downloaded a couple of previous versions of nLite but the result was the same.

u say it didnt work in a few previous versions but now ur saying it did?

MrRaines, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

did u enter the correct key where u were supposed to

u say it didnt work in a few previous versions but now ur saying it did?

Sorry - perhaps I should restate that.

I had nLite successfully integrating unattended settings (including insertion of VLK key) correctly for years. Then at some point, this stopped working. All recent versions of nLite that I have tried no longer work to integrate the key. I am unsure if this relates to SP3 or something has changed in nLite.

In all cases, the same key that I am trying to integrate works fine when manually typed into setup.

MrRaines, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

Ok thanks.

I always do all of the above things that you recommended.

Another comment - I have tried this process both with and without the integration of a RyanVM update pack - with the same results - so eliminating the update pack as the cause of the issue. Also, I usually integrate SP3 into my build using the microsoft command line procedure - so effectively I've had nLite do NOTHING except integrate a key, and it didn't work.

Very frustrating!

Last_Session.ini

Edited by MrRaines

Does your key exist in WinNT.sif (in I386) after nLite finishes? If not, the problem is with nLite. If so, one of two things could be your problem:

1. You slipstreamed SP3 into your source under Windows Vista. Try slipstreaming SP3 into your source from within another OS.
  2. Your key is bad. Contact Microsoft to obtain a new key.

Edited by 5eraph

5eraph, your number 1 is exactly right! Please see the top of his Last Session (Windows NT 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2, v.286.) This is Vista.

MrRaines, you cannot run nLite under Vista to create an XP ISO. Under certain circumstances this may work but not slipstreaming an SP. Your Last Session does not show integrating an SP. This increases my suspicion that you have run nLite more than once. Other than that, your Last Session looks fine. Enjoy, John.

Does your key exist in WinNT.sif (in I386) after nLite finishes? If not, the problem is with nLite. If so, one of two things could be your problem:
  1. You slipstreamed SP3 into your source under Windows Vista. Try slipstreaming SP3 into your source from within another OS.
  2. Your key is bad. Contact Microsoft to obtain a new key.

5eraph, your number 1 is exactly right! Please see the top of his Last Session (Windows NT 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2, v.286.) This is Vista.

MrRaines, you cannot run nLite under Vista to create an XP ISO. Under certain circumstances this may work but not slipstreaming an SP. Your Last Session does not show integrating an SP. This increases my suspicion that you have run nLite more than once. Other than that, your Last Session looks fine. Enjoy, John.

As I said, my key is not bad. It works when I put it in manually, and when I download an update that requires OS key validation it all goes through ok (which I would expect of a valid VLK key). The key does appear in winnt.sif after nLite processing.

I should reiterate that SP3 is already integrated by the MS command line method (albeit under Vista) before nLite is ever run. Could it still be because I'm running nLite under Vista, even though the only thing nLite is doing is integrating a key?

Thanks for the input.

The problem with this key results from a bug by working with Vista as hostsystem.

This is documented by Microsoft, too: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950722

This means, that this is no nLite-Bug, it occurs even when you slipstream SP3 manually.

Use XP as hostsystem, slipstream SP3 with nLite, do all your preferred settings,

and you`ll see - everything will work fine.

Edited by g-force