IE7 desktop shortcut doesn't work

krose

Weird issue I just discovered since I use Firefox most of the time. With the latest beta_k and IE7 on XP Home and Pro SP3, clicking on the IE desktop shortcut only creates a copy of the shortcut. Right clicking does not show "open home page" in the context menu. Quick launch icon, start > programs > Internet Explorer, and start > run > iexplore.exe work fine. IE6 on Win2K works fine. This is with all current HF's. Anybody else have this happen?

Don't know why it's making a copy of the shortcut. I would delete it and create a new one by merging a reg file below.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel]
"{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu]
"{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"=dword:00000000

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945402

Edited by -X-

The reg tweak didn't do anything. I checked my wife's laptop that I had last done using beta_d with XP Home SP3. The IE7 icon launches IE7 as usual. In the context menu there are entries for "open home page" and "start without add-ons". These are missing when I use beta_k, the first entry is "create shortcut", so when I double click the icon it creates a shortcut. It is no big deal I was just wondering if anyone else observed this.

Edit: Ran beta k with IE8 and KB968220. Everything works perfectly.

Edited by krose

I've the exact same issue:

-double-clicking creates a shortcut instead of starting ie

-right clicking the icon shows: create shortcut, delete, rename and properties instead of open home page, start without add-ons, create shortcut, delete, rename and properties

I've the exact same issue:

-double-clicking creates a shortcut instead of starting ie

-right clicking the icon shows: create shortcut, delete, rename and properties instead of open home page, start without add-ons, create shortcut, delete, rename and properties

I thought I had messed something up. It's a relief to have confirmation from another user. I hope the reg tweak posted works for you. I am just going to stay with IE8 for now since it works. Thanks for the responses.

Edited by krose

The registry key works partially, thanks for the input. Double clicking the icon now starts ie, but the "start without add-ons" option is stil "missing". I've also tried integrating XPSP2 + SP3 + IE7 whithout patches and XPSP + SP3 + IE7 with only the IE7 cummulative patch but it didn't make a difference.

Since IE8 is final for more then a month now it's a good moment to move up a version.

Edited by bozzy2k