Can I use vLite with my dell os CD ?

xEncorex

• 2 months later...

You can

TO REMOVE DELL CRAP + DEFAULT SERIAL

FROM http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=120228

OEM Re-Installation Disc: (This one requires a bit more fiddling than the others, so consider it for more advanced users) Some OEMs ship their systems with a "re-installation disc". This disc may be be customized by the OEM to install only one version of Vista, but those customizations can usually be "undone" using vLite, and then will allow you to install any version (that you have a license for) from that disc. This modification removes some of the custom scripts that an OEM uses to automate the Vista installation. Sometimes they also customize the windows install files, but I think they just add drivers to them. Using this method does not give you a "pristine" install disc, but it should be enough to work. An example where you could do this is if you have a Dell Vista Business disc at work that only allows you to install Vista Business. You can modify this disc to allow you to install Home Premium on your home laptop.

For Dell discs:

Copy the entire Dell DVD to a folder on your hard drive

In the "sources" folder, there is a folder called "$oem$". Delete it

In the "sources" folder, there is a file called "pid.txt". Delete it. <-- thiss is the dell product key

Open vLite and burn a new disc using those files

Install vista. It should now allow you to choose a version of Vista to install, and also will not install the dell product key and activation files

(Thanks to Silas Awaketh for the info that helped me figure this out)

Dell is currently the only OEM I have info for. If you have a disc from another OEM, please let me know and we can figure out how to add it.

Procedure:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a similar problem. I'm using a MSI-Notebook and only have the provided Recovery Media from MSI. The folder "source" contains a folder $OEM$ and the files PIDGENX.DLL and OEMHELPINS.DLL, but deleting them isn't any use. Do you have some idea how I could access the installations files via v.lite? (The operating system is Vista Home Premium 32-bit, by the way) This would be really great.

thanx