Where is nlite.cmd run from on new user startup?

Volatus

watbox, thanks for the Last Session.

/nudge It should be known that one thing I don't take well to is being looked down upon... /nudge
I was not looking down on you, just prompting you to post the information I requested.

I will look more deeply, but at first glance I see nothing to concern me. The command prompt I am getting is not associated with nLite. If you Google "windows script host version 5.6", it has something to do with Visual Basic. I suspect you are running nLite more than once against the same source and causing a problem in the nLite.inf. Under certain conditions of running multiple times, nhelper gets deleted prematurely, then is not present later when it is needed to, for instant, delete files. There was a long thread with lots of shouting and name calling about this subject. The OP was describing how to alter nLite.inf to get around the fact that nhelper was deleted early. Enjoy, John.

Guest watbox
The command prompt I am getting is not associated with nLite. If you Google "windows script host version 5.6", it has something to do with Visual Basic.

Strange, I don't get a window with Script Host at all. Actually, to be more precise, I don't get to Windows at all with my latest build, it just BSOD's in VMware on the "second GUI mode startup" (after the main Setup portion where unattended steps are run, immediately prior to OOBE). It gives me a 7b bluescreen like it somehow stopped being able to find the hard disk controller... quite frustrating. But I'm working on that issue independently at the moment... I think it's DriverPacks related (hur!).

I suspect you are running nLite more than once against the same source and causing a problem in the nLite.inf. Under certain conditions of running multiple times, nhelper gets deleted prematurely, then is not present later when it is needed to, for instant, delete files. There was a long thread with lots of shouting and name calling about this subject. The OP was describing how to alter nLite.inf to get around the fact that nhelper was deleted early. Enjoy, John.

"The OP" being me, you're still aware, right? :blushing:

And... :unsure: Actually I was just wondering what was launching nlite.cmd - which is clearly designed to run customizations on each new user startup and not just once - so that I could modify "it" to only launch it on the very first login and then forget about it. nlite.inf itself is useful since it applies tweaks to a new user, and I'm entirely sure that nuhi designed it so nlite.cmd also runs commands on a new user. I just didn't want it to do that on mine :P

Just to make everyone happy, and to answer my question, I'm going to try building an nLite disc with only unattended commands (nlite.cmd), and see what files are changed. I'll report back here with findings :)

edit: Wow, hm. I did find two things this time around: 1, that nlite.cmd is executed from winnt.sif's [GuiRunOnce] section, and that 2) it doesn't seem to execute on every new user login like I had expected...

Curiously, on this test setup, the RunOnce entry was completely missing from the .default user, both during T-15 in Setup (checked using Shift+F10 and regedit), and after startup. nlite.cmd and "Customizations" (Windows profile setup) both ran, despite having no RunOnce key (at all) that I could find... =\

Edited by watbox