Default User + All Users

os2fan2

These settings come from my HIVEFIX.INF, for modifying the user profiles. You can make these use the more vista-ish names like \users\default and \users\public, rather than the earlier "documents and settings\default user" and \documents and settings\all users".

This also would give the user opportunity to rename the default folders.

Note here that the "AllUsersProfile" and "DefaultUserProfile" are new here, not appearing in a .INF file before.

You could have a new page in NLITE to allow the user to configure the default profile directories and names.

Entries beginning with 2HKCU are for XP and above, do not appear in Win2k.

; hivesft.inf
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList","ProfilesDirectory",0x00020002,"%DEFAULT_PROFILES_DIR%"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList","AllUsersProfile",0x00000000,"%ALL_USERS%"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList","DefaultUserProfile",0x00000000,"%DEFAULT_USER%"

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","AppData",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_APPDATA%"
2HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","CD Burning",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_CDBURN%"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","Desktop",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_DESKTOP%"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","Favorites",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_FAVORITES%"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","NetHood",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_NETHOOD%"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","Personal",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_PERSONAL%"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","PrintHood",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_PRINTHOOD%"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","Programs",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_PROGRAMS%"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","Recent",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_RECENT%"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","SendTo",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_SENDTO%"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","Start Menu",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_START_MENU%"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","Startup",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_STARTUP%"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","Templates",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_TEMPLATES%"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","Cookies",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_COOKIES%"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","My Pictures",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_MYPICTURES%"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","My Music",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_MYMUSIC%"
2HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","My Video",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_MYVIDEO%"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","Local Settings",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_LOCAL_SETTINGS%"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","Local AppData",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_LOCAL_APPDATA%"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","Cache",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_CACHE%"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","History",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_HISTORY%"
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","Administrative Tools",0x00020000,"%U_SHELL_FOLDERS_ADMINTOOLS%"

[Strings]
; Shell Folders
DEFAULT_PROFILES_DIR="%SystemDrive%\USERS"
DEFAULT_USER="Default"
ALL_USERS="Public"

; User folders
TEMP_DIR="%USERPROFILE%\Local\Temp"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_APPDATA="%USERPROFILE%\AppData"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_CDBURN="%USERPROFILE%\AppData\CDBurn"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_DESKTOP="%USERPROFILE%\Desktop"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_FAVORITES="%USERPROFILE%\Favorites"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_NETHOOD="%USERPROFILE%\NetHood"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_PERSONAL="%USERPROFILE%\Personal"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_PRINTHOOD="%USERPROFILE%\PrintHood"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_PROGRAMS="%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_RECENT="%USERPROFILE%\Recent"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_SENDTO="%USERPROFILE%\SendTo"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_START_MENU="%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_STARTUP="%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_TEMPLATES="%USERPROFILE%\Templates"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_COOKIES="%USERPROFILE%\Local\Cookies"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_MYPICTURES="%USERPROFILE%\Personal\Pictures"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_MYMUSIC="%USERPROFILE%\Personal\Music"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_MYVIDEO="%USERPROFILE%\Personal\Video"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_LOCAL_SETTINGS="%USERPROFILE%\Local"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_LOCAL_APPDATA="%USERPROFILE%\Local\AppData"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_CACHE="%USERPROFILE%\Temporary Internet Files"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_HISTORY="%USERPROFILE%\Local\History"
U_SHELL_FOLDERS_ADMINTOOLS="%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools"

Very interessting, but I got a few questions.

1. Is this for English XP only - I´m on a German version?

2. About "2HKCU": Do I have to edit these lines for use on XP?

3. How do I integrate the code, which .inf do I have to edit?

4. When do I have to do this, after or before nLite?

(-1-)

I don't have a german version here, so you may need to look in Registry to see if the English names are given for the registry keys. If they are, all you need is to change the string values.

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders","Desktop"

The names like %U_SHELL_DESKTOP% can be localised, eg %B_SHELL_ARBEITPLATZ%, but you need to do it for all instances. Alternately, if you are planning for non-english speakers, write something like this in [strings]

U_SHELL_DESKTOP="Arbeitplatz" ; Arbeitplatz

The string inside the quote is what is applied, the thing after the ';' is just an help tp memory.

If the reg folder contains 'Desktop' on the left hand side (ie the name of the values), then the basic code is using english names.

The name on the right (Arbeitplatz) is what shows to the user etc.

You can to something like set the all-user folder to somethining like BENUTZE\ALLE or whatever (my german is very rusty here).

(-2-)

The 2 in 2HKCU is used by the rexx script that makes up the file. The line is printed to output (without the 2) if 2 is on the command line. The same source file is used for many different versions of Windows (2k, xp, 2k3).

(-3-)

The usual pattern is to put it into the appropriate HIVESFT.INF. However, the way i do it is to put this into a new HIVEFIX.INF, and then add this into the source. The full version, with one ommission (Administrativve tools) is on this URL.

see, zB http://www.msfn.org/board/lofiversion/index.php/t84600.html

The [Hiveinf.*] sections in the first box go at the end of these sections. These are meant to change the registry after it is formed. You see these happening at the end of the text-mode section, just before the reboot.

Note that the customisation is being set up for Queensland's time zone (260 = aus eastern standard time + no DST). The default for English versions is to use the USA west coast version.

(-4-)

You can merge it in before or after Nlite, since Nlite does not disturb other patches.

If there is an error, the install will stop near the end of the character-mode setup (when files are copied, and registries built).