Speed up Windows 7 or Vista startup

spacesurfer

Has anyone tried this trick to make their boot time faster? I found it here: Boot Win 7 or Vista faster.

Here are the instructions:

1. Press Win + R to open “Run” dialog window.

2. Type MSConfig into the text box after “Open”.

3. Go to Boot tab.

4. For dual-boot or multi-boot system, make sure that the operating system to make the change is selected.

5. Click on Advanced options button.

6. Tick the check box for Number of processors, and then select the maximum number count of CPU core processors value from the drop down list.

7. Click OK twice to exit System Configuration.

8. Restart computer.

I wonder if this really works or is a myth...

You're technically not really doing anything, as on the next reboot Windows will load the kernel and the driver and determine how many cores you have (and configure itself accordingly), so I'm not sure it will do anything at all. The tool was meant to test *reducing* the number of CPUs seen by the box, not to increase it. If this number is lower than the number of cores installed, it'll stick, but if it's higher it'll be reset down to the correct #.

It's a troubleshooting tool meant to artificially lower the CPUs available to the system (to test SMP amongst a specific # of processors, or to test an app in UniProc mode, etc), and it won't increase more than the number of cores installed (and supported) by the OS you're using.