What else is missing in Vista Home Basic?

dougdeep

For a very small business office (4 machines) I don't much care that Vista Home Basic lacks eye candy such as aero glass or unneeded applications like media center. Most software that says it works on Vista works on any version. What concerns me is that I'm starting to notice that some software claims not to work on Basic. For instance, Adobe Photoshop CS4 system requirements list Vista Home Premium or higher or any version of XP with SP2. What could be missing from Basic (but found in Home Premium) that would keep this software from running provided the computer also met the requirements for memory, speed, and graphics card?

I know that some third-party software can hook into Windows OS code to provide some of its functionality but the difference between Home Basic and Premium doesn't seem that great. I also wonder if there is some sort of marketing angle at work when companies like Autodesk describe AutoCad's requirements as "Vista including Home Premium, Business, Enterprise and Ultimate" (but specifically also lists XP Home and Pro). Does anyone know for sure if Microsoft left something more out of Vista Home Basic than what they show on their version comparison web pages?

yeah AFAIK there isnt any functionality removed from HB edition that would prevent 3rd party apps from working. the dealbreakers for me has always been no remote desktop, single monitor only and cant join a domain

however it does look like adobe does block installs on HB editions. My guess is this is just a limitation imposed by Adobe since most PCs shipping with HB wouldnt run CS4 well anyways (most OEMs will throw in HP on even midrange systems) and not a technical limitation of the OS simce ive never heard of any compatibility difference between editions until now.

here is the watered down comparison chart

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-v...ns/default.aspx

or a slightly more detailed breakdown

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2068721,00.asp

personally the least ill settle for is Business/Enterprise Edition

For instance, Adobe Photoshop CS4 system requirements list Vista Home Premium or higher or any version of XP with SP2. What could be missing from Basic (but found in Home Premium) that would keep this software from running provided the computer also met the requirements for memory, speed, and graphics card?

Actually, CS4 on Vista will try to use the GPU and Aero/DWM to run the app, so the fact that it's designed for DWM means it does actually need at least Home Premium. Any app that uses the new DWM interface APIs won't work on a version that doesn't have the bells and whistles, so to speak, thus leaving editions like Starter and Home Basic out of luck. Now, honestly I've never tried to use Photoshop CS4 on a Vista Home Basic system, but it is possible that "not supported" does not equal "doesn't work", it just may mean that if it doesn't work, don't call Adobe. Technically all levels of Vista support OpenGL rendering if an ICD is installed by the video driver, so it's worth trying I suppose.

sweet. i had no idea CS4 was rendered using DWM. makes it slightly more tempting. im still running 2.3 on the one machine i have CS on. I'd upgrade it if it didnt cost more than the PC its running on (P4 2.6 1core 4GB ram). Installing CS4 on it would kinda feel like putting 15000$ worth of rims on a '94 Civic.

sweet. i had no idea CS4 was rendered using DWM. makes it slightly more tempting. im still running 2.3 on the one machine i have CS on. I'd upgrade it if it didnt cost more than the PC its running on (P4 2.6 1core 4GB ram). Installing CS4 on it would kinda feel like putting 15000$ worth of rims on a '94 Civic.

I've always felt like that with Photoshop, although if manipulating images is part of your job I can see dropping the coin. Otherwise, paint.net for me.