BSOD on first XPx64 startup with slipstreamed install

arpharazon

2nd try added SP2 only, plus the tweaks & unattended setups I had on 1st try, and that worked.

3rd try added IE7 & WMP11 on top of the other stuff (still starting from scratch), and that worked.

This is weird because I had gone with an SP2 with no extras (with and w/o IE7 & WMP11) before and gotten the BSOD each time.

Questions:

- Is there a better list of what hotfixes I should add (post-SP2)? As opposed to the group I had previously tried.

- Where is my "current" XP installation (not the nLite one) located? I haven't been able to find anything nLite recognizes and I would like to try and

slipstream this one since it's already fully updated. And would this one also integrate the drivers, IE7 & WMP11 and other settings & tweaks

automatically?

arpharazon, Please see one of my previous post:

I suggest you look at Kurt_Aust's great tutorial. He has a complete list of updates needed after SP2.
If by your 'current' XP installation, you mean the system you are running on, it is integrated into many files and folders on your System disk (usually C:). I know of no way to create an installer from it. I am sure many would love to have such a thing. Just for starters, the Setup files that run when you boot the install CD, are not copied to your HDD since they are not needed on a running system. If you would have seen my last post, you would have seen that I suggest you add the drivers, because that is where I suspect where your problem is. Enjoy, John.

This tutorial, relating to slipstreaming RAID installations is what I was remembering. See step 4, about the i386 folder in the root directory.

I have found locations with an i386 folder, but nLite doesn't "recognize" them as installations.

Edited by arpharazon

arpharazon, here is the the link from my post several above. I have no idea what that is your pointing too, but if it is talking about I386, it is probably 32 not 64 bit. NLite is not going to 'recognize' anything you put in these folders. Enjoy, John.

arpharazon, the 7E stop means it is a driver problem. Try removing half of your drivers to narrow it down. Please post your latest Last Session and let us know what you learn. Enjoy, John.

Currently installing, sans drivers. Fingers crossed.

BTW, re: that link you posted, I'm assuming by the edited date being Apr.9, that he updates the first post as he goes and it's up to date as far as extras and add-ons go.

15 pages is a little much to get through otherwise.

Well, the "all hotfixes included" install has worked (for some reason I can't fathom). I'm working from IE7 within the new install.

WMP11 is acting a little weird, it won't resize the video. But still something, even got it to be completely unattended this time. Remembered the time-zone settings.

I'd certainly like to add other things. Stuff like directX goes in run-once, right?

arpharazon, yes DirectX goes in RunOnce, see how Kurt_Aust does it in his batch file. Please attach you Last Session. Are you going to try to narrow down the bad driver? Enjoy, John.

arpharazon, I pointed you to Kurt_Aust's thread. Please look at his RUN1_XP-64.BAT - can even DL it. Strip out what you don't want and you are done. Also include his code into the nLite RunOnce area. I asked earlier about using a virtual system. Have you considered VirtualBox or VMware Server - both free? It saves time and burning DVDs. I can do an install in less than 15 minutes on VMware Server. Enjoy, John.

Got VMware up & running. Took a little while to figure it out, getting it to boot from the "CD" first after choosing the ISO file to use.

Definitely a buttload faster. Still can't get it to copy & paste from the host to the guest, but I want to run a video to be able to recheck that problem I had with WMP11 earlier.

I printed the initial post from that other thread and the current install is fairly close to his, without the batch file or addons so far. I left out a couple of hotfixes related to Outlook since I removed that.

So how is it the extra hotfixes I initially had were unnecessary if they had later KB #'s? I finally saw what you were talking about early on about having too many when I only integrated what was on Kurt's list.

arpharazon, I counted that you had 110 hot fixes in your first Last Session. My last look, Kurt_Aust only had 50 and had added a few since then. I don't think I said they were unnecessary, just looked like there were too many. You need to have VMware Tools64 installed in your VM to get cut/paste to work and it only works for text. You can install it via the Server Home Page, or via nLite (what I use.) Again Kurt_Aust has instructions for how to do this. If you want to pass files, you need to enable sharing over your LAN connection, use a USB stick, or the CD. I use the LAN. Enjoy, John.