MY Vista acting very strange, keys changing state . . .

NativeTexan

Have some strange happenings on my Vista, complete system in my sig.

Have IE v7.xx on my system and some places I go to tell me they do not support my version of IE, need to upgrade to one that is later than IE v5. This came with my system when purchased last July, 2008.

My ISP also tells me they do not support the version of IE I have and need to update. I have all updates from Microsoft.com for Vista as well as IEv7.

I have attempted to download IE v8 and am told I do not have proper security settings or sufficient permissions, so attempted to install over the net and NOTHING happens. There is a file in IE folder titled "ieinstal.exe" and when clicked on nothing happens. I am the Admin on my system, what do I need to do to get this corrected?

Thank you for reading about my problems,

First things first - do not double post. One post should be sufficient - I've deleted your other post, and merged the replies here.

Now onto your queries.

Have IE v7.xx on my system and some places I go to tell me they do not support my version of IE, need to upgrade to one that is later than IE v5.
Normally when you see this it's a failure of the browser detection code on the web site you're visiting. What's your user agent, specifically? In IE, you can get it quickly by running "java script:(navigator.userAgent)" (minus the quotes of course) in the address bar.
My ISP also tells me they do not support the version of IE I have and need to update. I have all updates from Microsoft.com for Vista as well as IEv7.
Unless your ISP is making you visit some specific site, or using a transparent proxy known to mess with IE, it shouldn't matter what they "support".
I have attempted to download IE v8 and am told I do not have proper security settings or sufficient permissions, so attempted to install over the net and NOTHING happens.
I'd say it's likely that disabling UAC temporarily to install IE8 might be something you should consider.

• 2 weeks later...

Geek,

Thank you for this information, it has been run 'as administrator' and never thought to disable the UAC, thought that was to protect the system from attacks and dumb users that had restricted access. Never thought it was to keep Admin from doing what needed to be done.

On to Culberti,

Tried that java script:(navigator.userAgent) ,as shown here, with this as a reply er window? Windows cannot find 'java script:(navigator.userAgent)'. Check the spelling and try again. Oh, by the way, after much searching and attempting to download IE8 there was finally a place where there was success. It is now installed here as my sig will verify.

It really makes NO difference what they support or NOT, I still use what I want and keep MS's browser for backup and when they require me to use IE for specific downloads. They, my ISP, really would like for me to download their browser, which is IE, that has all of their bells and whistles and their tracking devices or some other monitoring device. NOT for me!

As for disabling UAC may have done the trick, but; I wanted to keep it up and running as it should be to tell me what I wanted to know about anything that should NOT be placed on my system would be shown.

Thanks to your site and a couple of others I am learning much and hope to continue with that,

Edited by NativeTexan

Excuse me,

In my attempt to make a quick reply, answering teley here, and other necessary events that need attention, I neglected to apologize for the double POSTing. In attempting to trouble shoot problems on this system, Vista, XP, ME, & 98SE, not all on same computer, some things slip through the folds of my brain and I get carried away with passing on information or asking questions. Some times asking on two or three different forums will produce faster and more complete answers or get questions that point me in the correct direction. Do not mean to cause problems, I have enough of my own and do not want to cause any for another.

Feel free to slap me when I do that, double post or repeat my self in the same message,

Edited by NativeTexan