Restore Point issue

x509

I just did a slipstream of Windows XP SP2 with a Ryan's VM of hotfixes for SP 2. Without going into the gory details, I have to apply an MS patch before I can install SP 3. I also did some tweaking, etc.

I have been unable to use System Restore to create a restore point. I first discovered this problem AFTER doing a lot of software installs, and searched the web for solutions, none of which worked. So I re-installed the slipstreamed Windows. Without doing any changes, I tried to create a restore point, but still had the same problem. :}

Has anyone else had the same problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

x509

I have been unable to use System Restore to create a restore point. I first discovered this problem AFTER doing a lot of software installs, and searched the web for solutions, none of which worked. So I re-installed the slipstreamed Windows. Without doing any changes, I tried to create a restore point, but still had the same problem. :}

Has anyone else had the same problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

x509

It just so happens that one of my tech subscribers brought me a very similar issue earlier today, so I have several tabs open at the moment related to it. Take a look at the following Malwarebytes thread. It discusses how to restore System Restore and covers several subtopics that may be of use to you as you go through the procedure. I'll suggest you read the entire thread before you start so you'll have an idea of what to expect and what to do if things don't go as planned.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=7753

Please write back and let us know if it works for your system. :)

x509, we need the gory details to help, so please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. You can integrate SP3 and the hot fixes using nLite and install programs using several techniques including Windows Post Install (WPI) and Addons. Both are discussed in these forums. Then when you encounter these types of problems, you can reformat and reinstall with little trauma. It takes longer to get ready but pays off in the long run. I also suggest you look into a virtual system, such as VirtualPC, VirtualBox or VM ware Server - all free, for your testing. Enjoy, John.

EDIT:GMan_PCTT, you are right - sorry about that! I have edited the OP name. Thanks, John.

Edited by johnhc

x509, we need the gory details to help, so please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. You can integrate SP3 and the hot fixes using nLite and install programs using several techniques including Windows Post Install (WPI) and Addons. Both are discussed in these forums. Then when you encounter these types of problems, you can reformat and reinstall with little trauma. It takes longer to get ready but pays off in the long run. I also suggest you look into a virtual system, such as VirtualPC, VirtualBox or VM ware Server - all free, for your testing. Enjoy, John.

EDIT:GMan_PCTT, you are right - sorry about that! I have edited the OP name. Thanks, John.

Johnhc,

I appreciate this offer of help. "Gory details" are in the attached Last Session.ini.

I'm relatively new to nlite, so I was not trying to be "too ambitiious." No SP integration, (for too complicated to explain here reasons) but integration of a RyanVM collection of hotfixes to SP2. I started out with a clean copy on my hard disk of the Windows XP SP 2 MCE install files. Also, driver integration and some tweaks. One interesting point. MCE requires two CDs to install. When I did the "make CD" option, I deleted some files so the ISO would fit onto one CD. Then I burned the remaining files onto another CD. This matched the two original CDs. But in the install of the customized Windows, the system never asked me to load in the second CD. :wacko:

I'm actually not familiar with Windows Post Install and Addons, and I won't get into those until I get the basic theory done right.

x509

x509, I see nothing out of order in your Last Session except you need to remove the "Explorer-Launch folder windows in a separate process". This exposes a Windows bug. I don't think it is causing your restore point problem, but it is worth a try. I suspect how you have combined your two MCE CDs and files you deleted. A number of people here have nLited MCE systems and you should search and learn from their experience. You may have to go to a DVD to hold it all. I understand your interest in keeping it simple, but I strongly recommend a virtual system. There will be some learning curve but after that it will be much simpler and no more coasters. I also know there are some versions of MCE that cannot accept SP3, so you should check that out. Please keep us informed on what you learn. Enjoy, John.

x509, I see nothing out of order in your Last Session except you need to remove the "Explorer-Launch folder windows in a separate process". This exposes a Windows bug. I don't think it is causing your restore point problem, but it is worth a try. I suspect how you have combined your two MCE CDs and files you deleted. A number of people here have nLited MCE systems and you should search and learn from their experience. You may have to go to a DVD to hold it all. I understand your interest in keeping it simple, but I strongly recommend a virtual system. There will be some learning curve but after that it will be much simpler and no more coasters. I also know there are some versions of MCE that cannot accept SP3, so you should check that out. Please keep us informed on what you learn. Enjoy, John.

John,

I agree with your point about the virtual system, though. After doing an nlite process, I do a test install on my laptop system using MS VPC. Good as far as it goes, but of course, you can't test driver add-ins.

I think I'm simply going to abandon the XP SP2 MCE install. MCE installs have always been problematic, even using the MS CDs. I don't really use MCE anyway, and I also have an XP SP 1 license with 10 installs. (from a friend who used to be an MS Action Pack Subscriber.) So in 2-3 days, when I have the time, I'm going to repeat this process, but using the XP SP 1 source, and I'll add in SP 2.

Also, it occurred to me since I'm going to install SP3 anway, I don't need to bother with Ryan VM's post SP2 hotfix pack. I can't slipstream SP3 in with nlite, because I have to install an MS hotfix that applies only for AMD Athlon (32 bit) processors before you can install SP3. Once I apply that hotfix, I will install SP3. I've already gone through that process, and it is necessary. Slipstreaming in SP3 directly results in a Windows install that never actually loads up. (The things you find out the hard way.) What do you think?

Is it possible to slipsteam just a SP with post-SP hotfixes? That would be so cool.

I just want to tell you that I really appreciate the help. I think that nlite is a great tool. I found somthing similar called Office Integrator, but nothing similar for Intuit Quicken or Adobe CS 3. At some point later this year, I will build some new 64-bit systems and move to Windows 7, and no way would I do that process without nlite!

Thanks for the tip about that Explorer-Launch bug.

x509

x509, I will try to run a test to see if I can add a hot fix, then start over and add an SP. I have done this before, and I get a message from nLite. I wonder if I am given an option to leave the hot fix in place and if that works. In general one should not run nLite against a source that has already had nLite run against it. You could add KB953356, then add SP3 and all later hot fixes.

Is it possible to slipstream just a SP with post-SP hot fixes? That would be so cool.
If I understand the question, yes you can integrate an SP then add all the after hot fixes.

Currently nLite does not support W7. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I did a search here on KB953356, and got several hits. One person said you did not need KB953356 with SP3. I am not sure what that means, but it may be worth a try. Slipstreaming SP3 may prevent the AMD looping problem. John.

EDIT, again: I was unable to find an hot fix that applies to my x64 SP1 CD, so I could not run the test I said I would. Perhaps you already know the answer. John.

Edited by johnhc

x509, I will try to run a test to see if I can add a hot fix, then start over and add an SP. I have done this before, and I get a message from nLite. I wonder if I am given an option to leave the hot fix in place and if that works. In general one should not run nLite against a source that has already had nLite run against it. You could add KB953356, then add SP3 and all later hot fixes.
Is it possible to slipstream just a SP with post-SP hot fixes? That would be so cool.
If I understand the question, yes you can integrate an SP then add all the after hot fixes.

Currently nLite does not support W7. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I did a search here on KB953356, and got several hits. One person said you did not need KB953356 with SP3. I am not sure what that means, but it may be worth a try. Slipstreaming SP3 may prevent the AMD looping problem. John.

EDIT, again: I was unable to find an hot fix that applies to my x64 SP1 CD, so I could not run the test I said I would. Perhaps you already know the answer. John.

John,

I think I need to explain a bit more about KB 953356. This fixes a bug that is specific to AMD Athlon systems. (Mine is 2 x MP 2000+). If you are at Win XP SP2, you must apply this hotfix before running SP3. It not, the system will never complete the boot up sequence. I verified this in two different ways. First I did a slipstream with SP3 (including this hotfix). Second, I installed SP3 without applying this hotfix first. There seems to be no way around the MS instruction to apply the hotfix to an installed version of Win XP SP2.

Because this hotfix is specific to 32-bit Athlon processors, it is probably not an issue for 64-bit Win XP.

This weekend I will have the time to start clean with that SP 1 version and slipstream and tweak to SP 2, testing with a Vrtual PC of course. Then I'll do a live install and go from there to rebuild my system.

x509

x509, it is true I have not had this problem but my son did on his Athlon and I helped him debug and get his machine going again. I do have an old Athlon 32 bit machine, but for some reason it did not have the problem when I installed SP3. If you stop the auto restart you will see a BSOD with stop 7E (most likely). You can boot into safe mode. I wonder how all the 32 XP users here are doing their SP3 installs. I would hope one of them would respond. You might do a search and send one of them a PM and see if they found a solution. Good luck, and please keep us informed. John.

EDIT: I ran a test on my XP x64 SP1 CD, adding an old MS update (using direct integration), then applying SP2. NLite warned me to remove the update but I answered to leave it in. SP2 integrated OK and I got no nLite errors. I installed it on my VMware Server and it runs, although I did little with it. You might try the same thing and see what happens. Enjoy, John.

Edited by johnhc

After reading this article you will know that this KB ist only important when the ISO

is created on an Intel-Machine and then installed on an AMD-Machine.

Link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356/en-us

Try to create a XPCD with slipstreamed SP3 on the AMD-Machine

and then install it on that PC - it should work without problems.

Then this reason is "egg-zacketly" why I was having problems slipstreaming directly to SP3. :angry: Since my desktop system was down, I have been using my laptop, which is a Lenovo ThinkPad with an Intel CPU! So we have a Catch-22 here. Once my desktop system is up and running, I can create a new install CD slipstreamed to SP3. But first I need to get that system up and running! :thumbup

x509

x509, have you tried the experiment that I was able to do - installing KB953356 first, then SP3 and ignoring the error message? Might be worth a try if you are waiting anyway. Enjoy, John.