what to do when suspicious of malware, hijacker, etc

colore

hello

my internet connection behaves strangely lately, eg seems to block specific sites, being slow, disconnect frequently, etc

although it my be my ISP problem, I would like to make sure my pc is free from ANY type of malware, viruses, hijackers, spyware, worms, etc

what should I do? which is the range of programs to use in order to detect any possible threat?

the last time I was occupied with this matter, there were a couple of programs, each for specific malware, so no single application could detect all threats

thanks

Edited by colore

Google "scan free online virus" (without quotes). Most of the top AntiVirus Software Providers are listed.

Spybot S&D (Seek and Destroy) is free; most people I know use it (I do). Google on that too (by safernetworking org). Not an antivirus, but a trojan/spaware hunter with additional features for blocking b;acklisted sites via the HOSTS file.

Search this forum for some freeware AntiVirus and opinions of "which is best" (keyword=opinions).

Here's a good one recommended by a member of the forum. Also HijackThis will give lists of items found and is used in assisting a person with eliminating various "baddies".

HTH