IE8 problems

Glenn9999

I had this problem with both IE8 RC1 and IE8 RTM. Furthermore, my IE7 is now messed up. It does the same thing in regular mode and shows with only the address bar/search bar (and nothing else) in safe-mode.

Any ideas on getting things back to normal with IE6 or IE7 (I can always run the installer) without having to gut everything and start over again. And any ideas about what's causing this with IE8?

Edited by Glenn9999

Are you using multiple versions of IE on the same Windows installation? I am confused as to what version you actually have installed.

By safe-mode you mean you launch " Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)" aka "iexplore.exe -extoff"?

Screenshots? Malware?

Try pressing ALT on the keyboard when IE is the active window to show the Menu Bar, then try to re-enable the missing toolbars from the View menu.

Also could try the Reset settings option under the Advanced tab in Internet Options, also accessible through the Control Panel.

Are you using multiple versions of IE on the same Windows installation?

No. Starting with IE7, downloaded and installed IE8. The described problem started. I tried a rollback point on system restore and deinstalling IE8 separate times and still no help. After I deinstalled IE8 (back to IE7), IE7 would work similarly.

By safe-mode you mean you launch " Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)" aka "iexplore.exe -extoff"?

Yes. This would only work with IE7, but would provide a screen with no menu bar, only the address bar, and no other controls on the screen, including the main rendering area for the web pages.

Screenshots?

None to be had. The screen disappears in less than a second.

Malware?

Not unless IE8 is - the system was working 100% fine before it was installed, and this was the only thing that was introduced aftewards. But I do doubt IE8 is that in an intended way.

Try pressing ALT on the keyboard when IE is the active window to show the Menu Bar, then try to re-enable the missing toolbars from the View menu.

Also could try the Reset settings option under the Advanced tab in Internet Options, also accessible through the Control Panel.

I resigned myself to doing a complete re-install of my Windows XP partition now. Like I said, I ran into this problem. And then I have a couple of other reasons to do the re-install. But I would still like to know what is causing it. My going theory is that IE8 didn't take too well to the BHOs and the Add-Ons (most notably IE7Pro) that I had installed in IE7. I tried deinstalling those and still run into this problem. The first icon on my control panel options was messed up too (no caption, nothing happens when I click it).

I can always try IE8 first when my install gets to that point and then try and revert to IE7 if I still have problems.

I resigned myself to doing a complete re-install of my Windows XP partition now.

Which turned out to be a very wise thing. I think I figured out, mostly, what is going on.

1) IE7Pro seems to be VERY incompatible with IE8. I have all the other BHOs installed now except for that one and am running fine. Add to that the clamor on the IE7Pro forums for a new version, it seems like I'm close, there.

2) "Immunization" functions seem to be somewhat incompatible, too. I loaded the immunization functions in Spybot S&D and Spywareblaster and IE8 took about 20-30 seconds to load (to get to the point that I could browse). Removing the IE specific ones lowered that to 2-3 seconds. So my guess is that both those softwares will need to do an update.

Anyway that seems to be the story.